Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

100% Water Change?

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by Kmac007, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Kmac007

Kmac007 Active Member

I got 2 nice looking 3" oranda goldfish from my lfs a couple of weeks ago. They are the only 2 in the pond at the moment. However, I have 2 Ranchu's in a quarantine that will eventually move to the pond. I am not mixing my Ranchus with the orandas just yet because being that I got the orandas from a pet store, I have no history on them so they will be quarantined and treated with prazi and salt.

My question is, when I switch them should I do a 100% water change on the pond? Will this harm my bio load?

2. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be an issue as long as you dechlorinate and that you match the pH and temp.

The beneficial bacterial live in your filter media, not free floating/swimming in the water.

Its always good to do a 100% WC once in a while anyways :)

3. Kmac007

Kmac007 Active Member

Right. That's what I say but you always hear pond people say you should never do 100% water changes. I'm thinking of doing it the day before I move the Ranchus in and letting the temp stabilize for a day because my tap is pretty colder than the water in the pond.

4. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

sounds good
    check your pH of the water from your tap
    and check what it is currently in your pond
    (or kH and gH if you have the test kit)

if its a lot lower in your pond you may need to buffer it

re 100% WC - depends how big of a pond we are talking about ...

5. Kmac007

Kmac007 Active Member

Not a very big pond (160 gallons). I have all the test kits and always check parameters.

6. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

I also have 140 gallons and always 100% water change weekly. I don't even test the water anymore... :)

7. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

yeah i use about that much too in my pond, and i try to do 100% as best i can once in a while (every month to 2 months)

every week i do 80-90% WC

i dont feel the need to check parameters either

8. Kmac007

Kmac007 Active Member

Great. Thanks for the advice everyone!

9. mitzi56

mitzi56 Member

I've had to do some pretty heavy water changes in my pond several times after having to remove some large invasive plants and all the goldfish that had bred in there just became too overpopulated. The only way for me to have done this was to actually get inside the pond and it meant any sludge or muck left on the bottom or in the plants stirred up the water quite a bit and only way i could clear it up quickly was to overflow my pond until it ran clear again. I had several species of fish at that time from mollies and fantails, comets and shabukins. as well as a few fantails and 2 telescopes
    but all faired very well during those complete water flushings. Now i have removed all invasive plants, and all unwanted breeds of fish and I'm trying to raise just oranges. From what I'm hearing though they are much more susceptible to flushing or water changes like this, so i have no idea how they will fair. good luck