Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

1100 gallon pond

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by GoldenMcNewbie, Jan 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

I am planing to use a 10' wide stock tank hooked up to a 75 gallon skippy filter, outside. The skippy filter will filled with pinky filters and be hooked up to a 5300 gph pump. The water will exit a 4" flange. Does this setup sound good to you guys? I will provide pictures once I start setting up.

2. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

skippy is a DIY filter eh? You think you gonna run through the pond volume twice at least in an hour?

3. GoldenMcNewbie

It should, if not more.

4. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

take into consideration that you will loose GPH with every 12" of Head height.

5. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Once you have it all setup you could test the volume of water exiting by having it fill a gallon container and timing it. That will tell you your true gallons per hour.

If it turns out to be more than 2200 gph then I would add more filtering materials to slow it down and take advantage of the extra gph you have. This will enable you to stock up more fish perhaps.

GoldenMcNewbie and CaliGold like this.
  6. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

if you're only lightly stocking it, I don't think g/litre would even matter.
    @shakaho & @CI would know more :)

GoldenMcNewbie likes this.
  7. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Yeah, but we all know how that goes ... ( :
    How are you going to clean the skippy filter? It is a very old school design that has fallen out of favor because they fail in the long run.
    There are better designs for DIY pond filters out there.

8. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Check out this filter:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?68132-Birdman-s-Sand-Gravel-Filter

A very popular design that works great as a mechanical and biological filter combined. Two of them would be more than enough for your pond, even if you put koi in it ... split the flow from your 5300g pump, flush weekly and you're good to go. I use these filters as part of both my pond's systems.

GoldenMcNewbie likes this.
  9. GoldenMcNewbie

That's why I chose a 5300 gph pump.
    Unfortunately I already have the 75 gal tub so I gotta make use of it. I could replace the skippy in the future with this though. I am unsure if a 55 could handle above 3000 gph. I could do both.

10. GoldenMcNewbie

I could lengthen the tubing, add reducers, or add a pre filter screen to the pump as well.

11. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

A 55g sand and gravel filter can handle 2000-2400g per hour, so two of them will handle your pump. If your pump is a submersible mag drive you can also safely valve it down to decreas flow if it is overwhelming your filter.

Can you post a plan of your filter idea so we can offer some modifications to improve the capacity to clean it?

12. GoldenMcNewbie

Same design as this one except I will be using pinky filters and a bag of pot scrubbers. http://skippysstuff.com/newtank01.jpg from http://skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm
    There's a drain in the back of the tub as well, the drain is about 1-1/2" .

13. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

My best advise would be to go back to the S&G filter with an air flushing manifold - you can make one out of a 75g tub or stock tank, I just don't know how much that will flow. You can add your bags of extra media to the top of the grit layer.

Second best would be to add air cleaning to the scrubbie media in the Skippy design, using the same type of manifold as a sand and gravel filter and flushing it with a shop vac, regularly. Don't believe the hypebole on the skippy website about the filter never needing cleaning. Knowing what you know about fishkeeping indoors, would you put a filter on a tank and never clean it or vacuume the bottom? Ponds are even worse for accumulating debris, and pond fish succumb to the same issues as indoor fish when debris and muck are allowed to build up and water quality goes down.

14. GoldenMcNewbie

I feel that the S&G filter will work best in a 55g barrel. I know the filter requires regular cleaning, but I'm gonna use Skippy's design while I try to build the S&G filter. Where can I get a max air blower for the S&G filter? Maybe I can add a tee to reduce and divert the flow into both filters. I am no expert in plumbing. Mind if I see some pics of your set up?

15. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

You only use an air blower once a week or whenever to clean it, it does not need to be permanently mounted, so it can be used on any filter at any time. A small shop vac works as good as a spa blower. I use an old dog grooming dryer on mine but at 5 hp it is over kill - I have to bleed off air so the media doesn't boil over when I'm cleaning it.

This is a link to my pond builds:

http://goldfishkeepers.com/community/threads/cis-pond-ivy-league-goldies.6423/

16. GoldenMcNewbie

I'm just wondering, where does the dirty water go when you flush it? Does it go down the drain at the bottom of the barrel? How do you separate each layer of gravel and sand of various sizes without them getting mixed up? Will the skippy work better if I add a prefilter to the pump?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  17. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Read the Birdman Sand and Gravel thread I linked to to see how it is built - the waste comes out a port in the top where you can divert it to the garden or lawn. Because it is an upflow filter and the cleaning cycle is from bottom to top as well, the layers never mix. All biological filters benefit from prefilters before the pump. This way the pump doesn't grind up all the waste into fine bits making the filters dirtier and less efficient.

18. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

it's always a good idea to run a pre-filter directly on the pump, this should also extend the life of the pump, as no large debris will be able to enter/ hit the impeller.

19. GoldenMcNewbie

Can I build a separate manifold for the air and one for the inlet?

20. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Not sure what you mean by an inlet manifold - did you read the instruction thread?