Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

2 orandas help

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by HotPocket, Jan 19, 2016.

1. HotPocket

HotPocket Member

First, Can someone tell me what this is on my orandas wen? http://imgur.com/g6a4x8S picture is a little blurry but my tank light wasnt going to budge and help me out. also, i have 2 oranda Goldfish in a 20 gallon tank and i was wondering, can i expect these fish to grow while they are in the 20 gallon? they are really small, the small ones that you see in the petstore rather than the big ones, i wanted the small ones because i thought they were babies, but will they grow while they are in this tank? also, im a beginner and ive only kept a comet goldfish when i was a kid in a 2.5 gallon tank. are orandas ok for beginners? im worry im in over my head with these guys, like their wens and if they get too big or diseased. i also dont see as many people who have oranda, people only ever have black moors or ryukin and im kinda regretting it but i want to car for these guys, im just worried i wont be able to give them the perfect care they need. Also i know tanks with water are very heavy, would i be able to keep a 40 or 50 gallon tank upstairs in a 2 story house? would it be able to take the weight? I feel like i should have just bought a black moor and been done with him, but my parents wouldn't let me put one fish in a tank :( EDIT: ive been watching for awhile now, and my white and orange oranda DEFINITELY has swim bladder again, he is tipping A LOT more than he did when he had it first, and i just watched him have trouble swimming down, and he floated straight up. the thing is i just started giving him sinking pellets because i heard the source of the problem is eating flakes and getting air while eating, and he has it when eating sinking pellets :/ Here are some video of him/her : and :

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. MikeM

MikeM Active Member

Ok, here we go. I love orandas, they are by far my favorite fish. The 20 gallon tank you have is ok for now but you will want to upgrade to at least a 40 gallon tank for your water puppies. To the question of location, a gallon of water weighs about eight pounds. When you add substrate, decor (minimal), you could be looking at 320-350 pounds, roughly. I would hesitate to put it on the second floor. If for some reason you spring a leak.....disaster! As to the swim bladder, try frozen peas. Simply thaw them in the microwave and remove the outer shell. There is a lot of varying opinions as to whether peas fix swim bladder, but it's worth a try and they love them. And yes, you should switch to sinking pellets or gel food to help keep this from happening again. Oh, if you have a heater in the tank that makes them grow faster. You don't really need it anyway, and aquarium salt is great for preventive maintenance. Follow directions on the carton, I think it's one tablespoon per 5 gallons, and keep an eye on you water parameters. Welcome to GFK!!!!!!!

3. HotPocket

HotPocket Member

thanks for all the information, ill use it to the best of my abillity, but are orandas hard to take care of? i really am afraid because i dont see many people with them and people always talk about wen disease and fungus and you have to trim their wens and they are more susceptible to bad water. is this really a task a beginner can take care of?

4. Jackie's Goldfish

Jackie's Goldfish Active Member

Orandas are one if the best first goldfish to take care of. There care are exactly like any other fancy goldfish. The reason why you hear people talking about oranda with wen problems is because people are gonna post things here that there worried of. No one gonna post about a healthy oranda unless there showing off their fish.

5. MikeM

MikeM Active Member

I've have never had wen problems with my fish. Jackie's Goldfish is right, you usually don't hear about the good stuff. Just keep your water healthy and feed them good quality food and you'll see how easy it is.....and then you'll be buying more.

6. mjfromga

mjfromga Well-Known Member

The fish does have a mild buoyancy issue. Feeding sinking foods will help, feeding sinking GEL foods will help more. The peas may help for now. Your tank also doesn't seem to be well aerated. Almost no surface movement at all. This can cause a myriad of issues itself. Try and get an airstone and an air pump soon.

Also pick up an API Master Test Kit and make sure you stay on top of your water changes. I recently had to move my 30 gallon tank upstairs as it turns out my family had been feeding my fish (causing a much dirtier tank and an almost 3" poo from my tiny little Rhonda!) and screwing with their lights and air pump as they were "annoying".

Took ages as I wanted to save all my water and needed major buckets etc, but everything is in order. I don't see a problem if there's a sturdy floor. I am 260 lbs, my dog who sleeps in my bed with me is 100 lbs and the bed is a very heavy and sturdy XL/California queen. Probably another 100 lbs. I figured that if we're good, the tank is good... And so it's all good!

7. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

It depends on how sturdy your floors are, and where supporting beams are. Some spots will work better depending on what is underneath. We tried to put a 40 long on one spot on our first floor that was out in the middle of the room, and because of how the beams were in the basement, it made the hardwood floor sag slightly and the water in the tank was not completely level. We now have a 75 gallon up against an outer wall that is perpendicular to the supporting floor braces, and it is fine. It does still wiggle a bit when both the kids and my husband are running around our living room. :D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  8. fantail1

fantail1 Professional Breeder

I think the fish has early stages swim bladder problems. Long term they rarely improve. Don't expect a positive outcome here, no matter what you do as the underlying issue with swim bladder problems is genetic.

9. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Do you think that if his fish grew the swim bladder issue would improve? Does size not matter?

10. fantail1

fantail1 Professional Breeder

I don't, sadly. If the fish grows the problems with the SB will continue and get worse. Indeed it may not grow much as the SB problem will mean it can't eat properly. I hope I am wrong but long term very very few fish recover fully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

I have a 150 gallon tank with 16 goldfish. Eleven of them are Orandas. They are LESS difficult to care for, in my opinion, than black moors. Orandas do not have the telescope eyes that can be easily injured or lost entirely. Orandas are LESS difficult to care for than pearlscales. Orandas have a much more normal body shape and are less prone to buoyancy problems than short bodied or overly round bodied fish. Orandas were LESS difficult to care for than than ranchu or lion head as Orandas will take any water depth given them. They do not require shallow water to thrive.

Oranda wen is not disease prone. What many new keepers think is disease is actually a sign of growth occurring. The white little pimples are harmless and are generally absent far more than they are present.

Goldfish are not difficult to care for. Do a major (80% of tank volume) once a week and service your filter every three weeks. Feed a high quality food...either sinking pellets or gel food. Rotate peas into your feeing regimen as they are very good for goldfish and they love them.

As to your floaty fish, do feed peas for three days...nothing but peas. Then move to gel food ( Repashy Soilent Green) and switch off... You may also want to check your filter's return and make sure it isn't creating too much current. I have an oranda that was exhibiting "floaty" behavior. I simply changed the way the returns were flowing into the tank in order to decrease the current and the problem was solved!

Do not freak out. Just watch your fish. Learn what they require and meet those needs and you will do fine!

12. HotPocket

HotPocket Member

I have to say admittedly that my oranda i think has had swim bladder maybe 2 months ago, i was a beginner and thought nothing of it sadly but when i learned i dint know what to do and eventually she started acting normal again until now. i think she was also very tired last night as she inst too bad today. the thing is ive been feeding sinking pellets maybe 3 weeks now and she got the swim bladder back, i dont even have the flakes anymore and since they are sinking i dont know how this is possible since people say that they get air stuck inside them from feeding, but thats impossible for these sinking pellets. im really mad too, because this is my parents fault. i could have taken way better care if they had let me get one, but they wouldnt let me put just one fish into the tank and now they are fighting me wanting to get a 40 for 3 fish when im pretty sure i should only have the 2 fish i have currently in a 40.