Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

55 gallon vs 65 gallon

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by CalicoGold, Jan 30, 2016.

1. CalicoGold

CalicoGold Member

I have the opportunity to upgrade my 30 gallon to either a 55 gallon plus stand for $100 or a 65 gallon plus stand and lights for $150. Right off the bat I know people will say the 55 gallon has a better footprint (because I think most people tend to prefer 55 and 75 gallons over other tanks) but when you do the math the surface area of the two are quite similar with the 55 gallon having 624 square inches of surface area and the 65 having 648 square inches of surface area, and then obviously the 65 is slightly taller at around 25 inches instead of 21 inches. So the 65 is a foot shorter than the 55 but is much deeper and does have more surface area overall with only a few extra inches of height. But the 55 gallon is a more standard size tank and would be easier to find parts for if I needed them for some reason. What do you guys recomend?

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

55 gallons for all of the reasons you mentioned and the fact that goldfish do better in shallower water

3. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

My experience says the shallower the water, the happier the goldfish. Surface area has less importance than the surface area to volume ratio, which is poor in those 2 foot deep 60/65 gallon. The 55 has no more width than a 10 gallon, so if you have large inflexible fancies, they may have to roll on their sides to turn around in a 55. The 40B and the 75 are both desirable tanks from the point of view of the fish. The 40B and the 55 are closer in actual volume than their names suggest, and IMO can carry the same fish load.

That's just my experience and opinion. Many will differ.

4. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Anything taller than the 55 is hard to maintain and clean unless you have very long arms or use ladder or stool.

My 120 gal is 24" tall and it is nor convenient to reach the bottom or the back of the tank.

55 gal is actually quite bit wider than a 10 gal (12.75-13 in vs 10-10.5 in, typical).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  5. csoth1

csoth1 Well-Known Member

Personally when it comes to tanks we love the 40B, we currently have ten of them. If it's strictly between the 55 and the 65 though I would definitely go with the 65 if it was me. The 65 is basically just a taller 40B, though considering as mentioned height isn't exactly of consequence with goldfish then between a 40B and a 65 I'd just stick with the 40B. That's my two cents on it at least.

CaliGold likes this.
  6. CalicoGold

CalicoGold Member

Thanks for all the comments. Unfortunately I don't really have access to a 75 or a 40B at the moment. I need a tank and stand this large delivered to me because my car is absolutely tiny. So if I'm going to upgrade now I have to decide between the 65 and 55.

I guess my next question is whether the biggest constraint on keeping goldfish in these tanks would be oxygen availability in the water or waste dilution? With aeration would there really be a sizable difference in the amount of available oxygen between the two tanks? I would have just my three fish. And wouldn't the extra water volume in the 65 hold enough oxygen to counter the lower surface area to volume ratio? I feel like for the money having an extra 10 gallons to dilute waste would be good. I'm also struggling to understand how a few inches difference in height could really make such a big difference? I'm not a tall person at all (5'2") so I'm going to struggle to reach down to the bottom of pretty much any tank. Step stools are not something that is foreign to me lol

Joshua's golds likes this.
  7. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Go for the 65 - the only difference will be more gallons.

8. Ununique

Ununique Well-Known Member

My personal favorite is the 50B, but those are hard to find (nice even footprint 24"x36"). None of the standard tanks seem well suited for goldfish, especially if you take good care of them and they live long. I have a ranchu that is like 8" with a pretty small tail, imagine how a 13" wide tank would feel. Dunno, go stand in a coat closet and see how fun it is to move around.

Although I guess if you put a fish with that potential in a 55 he wouldn't ever get that big.

9. CalicoGold

CalicoGold Member

This isn't necessarily the last tank I'll ever have them in. It's just that I need to upgrade from my 30 gallon soon anyway so this is the next step. I don't own my own place either so I'm sure eventually if my fish live to be that old and get that big I'll be able to upgrade to something even bigger. But these fish are small right now. Orandas with 4" body, 3" body, and 1.5" body.