Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

6+inch hibuna how big a tank

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by MichaelWms62, Jan 22, 2016.

1. MichaelWms62

MichaelWms62 Member

Hi, I have a chance to get 2 hibuna both are over 6 inches long including the tail. I know the rule of 20 gal per fish but does that change with bigger fish?
    They are single tail common fish that swim more actively. Since I don't have a tank for them anyway I was wondering what tank do y'all suggest. Thanks for any advice.

2. Jackie's Goldfish

Jackie's Goldfish Active Member

At least 40 gal or bigger the better.

3. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Agree with Jackie cause they will need serious space to swim.

Jackie's Goldfish likes this.
  4. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Your fish will enjoy a 40B. I think this a better tank than a 55, because of it's lower height and greater surface area. The guideline of 20 gallons per goldfish provides an adequate environment for almost any mature goldfish.

How old are these fish? Knowing that can help to predict how large they will get.

5. MichaelWms62

MichaelWms62 Member

I'm not sure of their age. My friend has had them for about 18 months. I saw them then but didn't really think about size. I know they weren't tiny even then. He got them with a koi shipment. Now he wants them out of his pond. After living in a small garden pond will they be happy in a tank?

6. shakaho

So they are probably 2-3 years old. They won't be huge fish. They will hate the aquarium at first, be frightened by the "exposure," and will bump into the walls until they figure out about glass. If you cover the sides of the aquarium at first so they see opaque walls, they will feel better. After two or three weeks they'll be fine with their tank as long as they get those regular meals. Goldfish aren't hard to please.

Of course you could make them a pond of their own.

7. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

USE ACRYLIC PAINT. Or tape on paper..

8. MichaelWms62

MichaelWms62 Member

I hadn't thought of covering the sides. I was worried about them bumping into the glass. Their pond isn't large, only about 6' by 8' and 3' deep with plants and 5 koi fish. I think they will enjoy meals without the competion. How long should it take them to get used to the tank? Surely they should be less stressed than a fish that got shipped. I just don't want to make this worse for them. Thanks for the help

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Hibuna can grow very large and you do now want to stunt their growth. The small lest I would go would be a 55 gallon your will probably need to upgrade in a few years. they are great pond fish

10. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Goldfish seem like any other animal.. Restriction of territory makes them unhappy.

So far all my fish that had to come in from the pond temporarily (1-3 months) to a 20 gallon tank did not enjoy the experience.

11. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

I would suggest a 65g, 75g, 90g, or larger(120g, 125g, 140g, 150g). Preferably something that is at least 18" wide (front to back). If they've been in a 3' deep pond for 18 months, a deeper tank shouldn't be a problem,so long as you have good aeration (they will likely appreciate the vertical space), and so long as it is not narrow (like a 55g, @ only 12"). Craigslist is a good place to keep an eye out for used larger aquariums, just be sure to carefully inspect, before forking over the cash. IF these fish double in size, to 12", a 12" wide aquarium will be insufficient, ...plan ahead.

12. shakaho

Hibuna do not grow any larger than other goldfish in artificial ponds/tanks. They get longer than fancies, but fish have three dimensions and fancies grow both taller and wider. If you look at this table you will see that a common goldfish needs ~ 12 inches of standard length (not including the caudal fin) to reach 1 pound of weight. That will be 16" when you include the tail. Fancies considerably shorter than than compete for "largest goldfish in show" in big Asian competitions with weights in excess of 3 pounds.

These fish have about 4 inches of standard (body) length. That makes them about equal in volume/mass to an "average" fancy with a standard length of 2 inches. Who would accuse someone who put 2 orandas of that size in a 40B of trying to stunt their growth?

Oddly enough a 40B has a volume closer to a 55 than their name suggest. The 40B also has a much better surface are to volume ratio and the width makes it much easier for large, inflexible fancies to turn around. Even mature long-bodied goldfish can bend into a U to turn around, so they do fine in the narrow 55, but I strongly prefer the 40B and like to think the fish do too.

Goldfish don't grow much after about 3 years of age so I don't know how you are going to stunt them. They will get a lot better quality water in a 40B than in a 1000 gallon pond already overstocked with 5 koi.

I really wish people who talk about the large size and space requirements of long-bodied goldfish would describe the size and living conditions of their commons, comets, and shubunkin, so I will do so. My largest hibuna are 6 years old, have been in ponds since they were inchlings. They have ~ 9 inches standard length and ~12" total length as they did two years ago. Their ponds have ~ one fish per 20 gallons. When I have tried stocking at lower levels, more fry survive and the population level goes up. They share their ponds with fish of the same age and from the same source that are no more than 6 inches standard length. They have some fantail pondmates that are two years younger and perhaps two inches shorter in standard length. These are clearly larger fish.

"How long should it take them to get used to the tank? Surely they should be less stressed than a fish that got shipped."

If you cover all sides of the tank initially, the fish will see you only from the top, and recognize you as a human, (in a pond they don't see you from the side) and specifically the human who feeds them. Once they start "begging" when they see you, take the cover off the front of the tank. This should just take two or three days. Give them another few days to get used to two different views of you, and take the cover off one of the ends. Repeat until all sides are uncovered. I recently had two pond-raised adult fish in a 40B for treatment. It took them less than a week to relax with no covering at all, but these fish knew me. I'm suggesting a very gentle approach. Goldfish rarely jump, but panic can make a fish jump, so you might want to cover the top with a screen until they get used to their new environment. Something like this, or make your own.