Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

75 gal set up/DIY filter system

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by Lanthia, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Lanthia

Lanthia Active Member

I finally got my 75 gal. tank set up for goldies. The tank is a reef ready oceanic with a built-in overflow box which I like because it keeps the surface clean. I am using a Danner supreme mag 7 pump with a 700 gph flow rate. The return is at the surface and divided in two for directional surface agitation.

I’m posting pics of the sump and fluid bed filter that I am using. I figure I have about a total of 100 gallons of water and lots of surface area for good gas exchange.

[​IMG]

The sump is a 29 gal. aquarium. The return water goes through a 200 micron filter sock which is sitting in the middle of my DIY sock stand. The stand is made of egg crate, plastic ties and ½ of a plastic cup. It’s very functional but I do worry about the cup leaching weird chemicals into the water. Would love to hear some comments on this subject.

The fluid bed filter using k1 kaldness media is a 13 gallon rubber maid garbage can that has a bulkhead and tubing that drains back into the sump via gravity. The maxijet 1200 pumps water into the garbage can at a rate of about 295 gph. I have two gallons for k1. The maxijet tubing sits at the bottom to provide good stirring flow. There is also a medium size bubble disk at the bottom. Will probably add another after all media is in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fluid bed filter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bottom of the tank is covered in about ¼ inch of black sand. I have live plants in containers, rocks and a vintage aquarium mermaid as my décor. The mermaid was filled with sand then the openings occluded with silicone.

[​IMG]

2. ranchumatt

ranchumatt Hobbyist Breeder

First, great job, it's looking good. I like how you positioned and constructed the bag filter.....if it clogs and overflows, it looks like it will just go right into the sump.....so that's a good fail-safe.

On the plastic cup, did it have any letters on the bottom? Most plastic containers have a mark designating the polymer content. If it says PP, PE, or HDPE, you are good to go. If it's not marked, you can submerge it in water and make sure there are no bubbles or air trapped in/on it......if it floats back to the surface, it's most likely a type of PP, PE, or HDPE, and you are good to go.

I always rinse any new containers in hot and cold water before aquarium use, though, in case there are any chemicals on the surface. In general, you are safe with plastics like PP (polypropylene), PE (polyethylene), HDPE (high density polyethylene), acrylic, nylon, polycarbonate, vinyl, and PVC, though the latter ones may contain other chemicals that can be more or less harmful.

3. TVRfan

TVRfan Professional Breeder

Very nice set up. Good job on all the D.I.Y. Stuff, but my only question is if you are diverting a portion of the flow from the pump directly into the bio filter or sump? If not, the flow from the mag 7 may be a bit much. With the Kaldness media, and all the D.I.Y. Work, you will have a very robust filter. Look forward to seeing it with the fish.

4. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

You will have to keep an eye on your 200 micron filter sock. It will get clogged pretty often and will need to be rinsed on a regular basis. Sometimes pain in the ***. However, if it will become a problem, you can always install more porous filter sock.

5. Lanthia

Lanthia Active Member

Thanks for the compliments.

I don't feel the mag 7 has too much flow but of course I will see when the fish are in. If they are plastered up against the other side of the tank...I will know.

There is little flow reaching the other side and I am considering putting in a bubble wand. A cool visual effect and it may draw the water up to go thru filter teeth.

I bought 4 socks so I can change them often.

6. TVRfan

TVRfan Professional Breeder