Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

A frag tank for ranchu?

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by lucorinth, Jan 12, 2018.

?

Is it okay?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lucorinth

lucorinth Member

Hello! I don't know if I'm technically a noobie still, but I figure that my one year of fancy goldfish experience is tiny compared to the vast years many of you have, so I could probably stick this question in here.

I was wondering, since goldfish do best in shallow wide tanks, would getting a frag-styled tank work well for ranchu? I really love the look of them as well. The one I'm eyeing from glasscages (somewhat local) is 36 x 36 3/4 x 8 tall, though the zoo med's 50 gallon low boy (48″ x 24″ x 10″) also looks good (though I can't find any place that will sell the darn thing!). It seems to me they would work fine, and I'm not getting jumbo ranchu or anything, but what are your opinions? Is 8 to 10 inches too short for ranchu to be happy? Would it help or hurt their growth?

I'm actually getting in one that has a slightly defective swim bladder soon, and seeing the treatment of shallow tanks to relieve her swimming burden is what's made me think of this.

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

they would work fine but tend to be more expensive than conventional tanks. A lot of us here use those 40 gallon breeder tanks that you can keep two full grown fish, with out any issues and they are a lot cheaper

lucorinth likes this.
  3. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Agree with Joe. Those tanks are great IMO for all goldfish but they're expensive and usually the 40B works great. But with a swim bladder fish, something more shallow would work.

EOGoldfish and lucorinth like this.
  4. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I think that's close to perfect. For stocking use 2 square feet of surface area per fish.

lucorinth likes this.
  5. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

I always thought something like this would be perfect for Ranchu and actually most Fancy Goldfish so that they could be viewed from both the top and side. Best of both worlds.

Jim.

lucorinth likes this.
  6. lucorinth

lucorinth Member

Thanks for all the answers everyone! I'm looking into trying this out, so now I better start looking into how to make my own stand for it (I made my 40b rack with my grandpa, so I should be able to).

I currently have a 40 gallon rack for my two darlings. <3 But we ended up getting free baby ranchu with the few fish we ordered for a 75 gallon, so I'm looking for something that can hold three long term for when they grow. : ) One of them is confirmed to have a slight genetic (they think) swim bladder issue, so I like the thought of a shallow tank to ease her struggle.

Thanks! I've found a couple frag-styled tanks that are only about 1/4th more, if I can only find a way to get them since they don't ship to non-stores. I hit up my LFS to see if they can order the zoo med low boy one in.

Awesome! So the low boy has a little over 6 sqf, so I could house 3 in there just fine? Right now two are teeny tiny, but I'd like it to be a long term home.

Glad to hear! And yeah, that's what I was thinking!