Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Acrid smell after WC.

Discussion in 'Advance Water Quality' started by Amy S, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Amy S

Amy S Professional Breeder

After my normal Sunday 80% WC, there is a very strong and off-putting acrid smell coming from the tanks. I noticed it Monday morning and it is just as strong this morning.
    Anyone ever had this happen?
    Ideas?

2. KrisKustom

KrisKustom Well-Known Member

Had to look up what the definition of Acrid was. I did have something like this happen. I had a hydrogen sulfide bloom in my hot water heater, but it produced a distinctive sulfur smell. Can you describe the smell any better?

3. Hinfin

Hinfin Banned

ASK Ichthius......

He knows about everything we seem to know nothing about but hold dearly....

I wonder what will be told next!!!!!!!!!............:worship:

4. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

Stinky house

I have experienced this, says my dear wife. I can tell you I fixed it by doing three things; no gravel, no algae on the tank walls, and stop feeding spirulina.

5. Amy S

This is very interesting as I seem to have lost most of the algae on the walls. No gravel in any of them.
    Stop feeding spirulina?! *GAsP*
    The smell reminds me of battery acid. Really unpleasant. Fish seem unaffected.

6. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

It's likely from a bad electrical connection. Replace or clean you power strips and make sure the prongs of the plugs are not corroded. If corrosion or water interferes with the conductivity of the electrical connection the resistance causes heat and it can melt the socket.

That smell is almost always electrical. I just had a fire at work and know it well.

7. Amy S

I will check this the second I get home, but Ichthius, the smell is coming directly from the tanks. If you sniff them, it is very strong. ?

8. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

Scoop water from the tank using a clean container and smell it away from the area of the tank. This way you will be able to tell if the odor is coming from the water or the tank itself.

9. Ichthius

If it's in the water, I could be heater/powerhead/impeller related.

Or if it's not electrical it's what Cincy said.

There is also a similar smell I've experienced in pressurized sand filter used in a polishing capacity after the biological system. They built up a plaque of fine organics that blocked the back bash from functioning properly. Could you have a channelized or clog flow that is getting nasty?

10. Amy S

Pure KISS method in the fish room, sponges and wc only. Smell is improved tonight, but not gone. Will update in the AM.

11. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

Really poor form, Hinfin...and completely childish and unproductive...this did nothing to help the OP.

12. Ichthius

When things go anoxic, the nitrogen cycle stops and the system shifts to a sulphur base system ending with hydrogen sulfide instead of nitrates.

We are very sensitive to sulphur as in battery acid.

If organics (carbon base solid waste as opposed to the nitrogenous waste that comes out the gills) or the fluffy sticky heterotrophic bacteria (carbon eaters) accumulate in the center if the filter it can go anoxic very quickly.

A little detritus and maybe a bit of sand in the center base of a sponge filter is where I find it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  13. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

Have you ever taken a whiff of the Prime dechlorinator straight from the bottle? It has a strong sulfur smell. Is it possible that you spilled a few drops on the rim of the tank that didn't make it to the water?

Just a thought...

Rob

14. Amy S

I thought about that, but this was strong enough that I had to leave the door open, or it would knock me over.
    The smell is much better this morning, I do know one thing, EVERYTHING will get rinsed and 100% WC this Sunday.......

Bcrafty likes this.
  15. Hinfin

Hinfin Banned

Algea (or spirulina) are very proteine rich, also containing sulfur rich amino acids. If these algea die or in any other way a big amount of this sulfur rich amino acids get reduced in an aquatic system you can get this strong sulfuric acid smell. If you clean out the (dying) algea and 100% WC things should return to normal.

16. Ichthius

So how'd the water changes go ?

17. Amy S

The smell is still there, not as intense ( or I am getting used to it) I have given it alot of thought, and the timing is about when I made a new batch of gel food. Related to the change in how this new food is utilized?
    This is as good a guess ad I have.
    :)