Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Actual number of Omega One Pellets?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Food' started by jtravis10, Feb 14, 2015.

1. jtravis10

jtravis10 Member

Hi Everyone:

I am new to the site and goldfish keeping. I have a question about the amount of food to feed my Ryukin. I can't seem to find any specific amounts. Currently I have 4 Ryukin about 1.5-1.75" bodies (not including tails). I am feeding them omega one small pellets for goldfish.

My question: how many of these pellets should I feed them? Everything I am reading says to feed as much as they will eat in 2 minutes. My goldfish would eat half the bottle in that time! Ha ha. SO--give me a number. I have been giving them 16 pellets, 2x per day. I figure that it about 4 pellets per fish per feeding. Is this too much, too little, or just right?

Thanks--Jack

2. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

No, they won't eat half a bottle. :Geek: I feed "all-they-collectively-can-eat-in-5-min".

3. bluebelly

bluebelly Ambassador

beginners articles

4. alorindanya12

alorindanya12 Active Member

I hate that answer 'how ever much they can eat in five minutes." Is not a good answer for someone like me (also using the Omega pelets), that only has one 1.25" Oranda. I feed him 4-6 pellets and 2-3 flakes of food in the morning and evening. Is this too much? Too little? I am with the OP, saying 'however much it can eat in ___ minutes" tells new fish owners NOTHING. BlueBelly's answer is the closest I've seen to an actual answer, so thanks for that. But I wish there were more exact specifics.

I for one have a tank that is about 76-78 degrees with only one fish.

5. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

The fish picks up pellets, chews them, then picks up more and chews. In 5 min, the fish can only eat that much food. That defines the portion. To that you add effect of temperature and you have a system.
    I prefer to feed more often with smaller portions. Depending on the temperature, the frequency is adjusted. A young fish at 76-78 would be fed by me 3-4 times a day, "5 min" rule. Don't forget, observing your fish and how it looks and if needed make feeding adjustments. Understanding this requirers patience and observation and constant improvising.

It is wrong to think that there is only one way the fish must be fed.

chocky likes this.
  6. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

also look it its affecting your water quality (in terms of ammonia), is there lots of poop? is your water getting smelley/cloudy etc

7. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

The 5 minute rule, is a good GUIDELINE. Feed what you think they can consume within a 5 minute time frame, If there is still food remaining after the 5 minutes, you've fed too much. Reduce feeding amount at next scheduled feeding. If all the food is gone in 3 minutes, you fed too little, increase amount at next scheduled feeding.
    In general feeding 2-3x per day is good, remember smaller portions more x per day, is better than larger portions less x per day.

A lot of variables can be taken into consideration when trying to scientifically determine how much food a goldfish may require. The fish's size/weight (grams), UV exposure, Tank temp, Metabolism rate, type of food, time since last feeding, having plant material available to eat between feedings, as well as what your intentions for the fish are, show, breed, or pet.

Unless you're a Marine Biologist, there is no need to get that Scientific about it.

RyukinChris likes this.