Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Adorable snails are making me paranoid.

Discussion in 'Member's Chat' started by SandyBottom, Jan 5, 2018.

1. SandyBottom

SandyBottom Well-Known Member

I finally found some Clithon diadema ( horned bee nerite). They are the size of a pencil eraser. They are in qt right now. Cleaning some diatoms from my anubias. They are small enough to get all the hard to reach places that my larger nerites miss. I have been waiting for these snails for years. So my paranoia has to do with my surface skimmer. I think they are small enough to crawl down into it. Once they reach my filter they are goners. I am going to take some thin plastic and set it over the open top of the skimmer. I was going to glue it. I think it would be too hard to clean though.This should keep them out. A temporary glue would be nice. Any ideas on this one would be welcome! I have the Tom's aquarium products skimmer.

I can't make my mind up about this. Perhaps I should give them their own nano and use it for a plant cleaning station? When my rhizome plants get algae covered, just toss them in there.

orangecrush likes this.
  2. kat.filf

kat.filf Active Member

They'd probably appreciate a tank on their own away from Goldfish(assuming you may have goldfish in that tank as this is a goldfish forum), I feed my goldfish small snails occasionally. They love picking at them all day and hunting for them in the gravel. They might not like goldies as a tank mate, but if yours don't eat them then I'd think it'd be okay.
    For the glue? I'd go with hot glue. You'd have to clean and dry the surfaces in question though. It's non-toxic, cheap, water-proof, easy to use and easy to remove. Use a razor and scape or pick at it until you can pull it all off in one piece. If you have any PVC pipes or fittings it won't work though, PVC has a plastic hardening chemical it can leech into the water and that chemical messes with the properties of the hot glue. I used it for making a HOB algae scrubber filter filled with java moss for my predator tank.

3. kat.filf

kat.filf Active Member

Since they're hard to find in your area, you may consider breeding them. They require a separate saltwater tank for the eggs to hatch and young to thrive.

4. SandyBottom

SandyBottom Well-Known Member

I think I will try packing tape. It needs to be super light to keep the skimmer from going under. While it does sound fun to try breeding nerites, it would be cost prohibitive for me. The ones I got were at our new petsmart. They carry them at a very reasonable $ 2.25 or so. I have zebra and tiger nerites in with my ranchu, wonder how long it will be before they find the skimmer and put it under. Hopefully this won't be in the middle of the night. It sounds like a tank or filter leaking.