Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Aerator or not?

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by Faebinder, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

I need some advise please.

I have a 350 gallon below ground pond. I mixed fancies and some common goldfish in there and I do weekly 50% water changes with no problems. I have a waterfall and a pump-filter set up as well separate from the waterfall pump. The pond has two large plants and it used to have lilies but they died this fall and hopefully they will come out in the spring.

This is my first 4 month owning a pond, so my knowledge is poor at best.

Winter is coming.... I bought an aerator for the pond (and a de-icer). If I put an aerator in the pond, it will go in the quiet deeper end (2 feet). Should I do that? I read somewhere that the ranchus need quiet water. I'm at goldfish limit with that pond but many of them are small and I plan to make it 1 foot deeper in the future.

Aerator or not in the quiet section?

2. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Put your aerator in the shallow end - you only want it to keep a hole in the ice. If you put it in the deep end it will circulate cold water down there, it would be better to let the fish rest in warmer water at the bottom. A better solution would be a cattle trough heater at the surface, though more expensive to run.

3. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

With a small, shallow pond, your best option is to make a "greenhouse" cover for your pond. You can find lots of instructions for making a simple "hoop house." These may keep your pond unfrozen, but certainly will keep the ice thin enough for an aerator to keep a hole open. Their most important function is to protect the pond from snow.

*Ci* likes this.
  4. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Man, that's hardcore. I'm not the best builder kind of person out there. Mmm.. I do have a large 10' x 3' board. So cover the pond during snow days and leave the aerator and de-icer in?

5. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

Aeration is most critical to keep gases from accumulating under the ice. My goldfish ponds are typically only 3' deep and yet with aeration the fish do fine , my koi pond is 4.5' deep. It seems tp be important to keep the leaves out of the pond

6. wakinsan

wakinsan Active Member

you may do with out the aerator over winter. if you have a water fall and intend to run it over winter then that should keep a water hole open if your pond should freeze over. if your pond is deep enough at least 2'6'' it should be safe for your goldfish to overwinter in. i have an above ground pond about 400 gallons and almost 3' deep and has gone thru 2 winters. my goldfishes have thrived without aerators. but of course your goldfishes are 'hibernating' in winter, so best not to disturb them with an aerator in the deep end.

7. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

In a cold area the waterfall can freeze in places, re-routing the flow to areas outside the pond, thus causing your pond to empty ... waterfalls also tend to cool the pond water even more (not great for the fish), so IMO this is the least desirable option.