Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

AGA Show at VA

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by small_ranchu, Apr 22, 2014.

?

Can we see a vote to see how many people would exhibit and/or help with the setup?

Poll closed Jun 21, 2014.
  1. Fredrickburg, VA preferred

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Yes, I will exhibit at Fredrickburg

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Yes I will help with set up and tear down at Fredrickburg

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. Greater Richmond VA preferred

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  5. I will exhibit at Richmond

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  6. I will help with set up and tear down at Richmond

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

The American Goldfish Association is considering a show in either Fredericksburg VA or greater Richmond area. The AGA will supply some tanks, a judge and the accounting software and a few trophies. Entries will be $3 each, by reservation. Show would be late Septemebr or early October. Set up on Friday and Show and sale on Saturday. Can we see a vote to see how many people would exhibit and / or help with the set up?

2. bkrhodesva

bkrhodesva Professional Breeder

Gary approached me about heading this up, so I would gladly take the organizational reins if there is interest in doing this. He suggested a show in Richmond, but I thought a show closer to DC would increase involvement. Please post your thoughts and suggestions and hopefully we can move forward,
    Bryan

3. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

I will try my best to attend and help..

4. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

I am available to help, and I will exhibit. I think we need to identify a suitable venue that won't cost a lot. Our local tropical fish club usually does these shows at a hotel, but I think that would be very expensive. One place that might allow us to use their facility is Lilly Pons garden center.... or if there is another garden center that offers pondfish?

http://www.lilypons.com/

Cheers,
    Rob

5. TVRfan

TVRfan Professional Breeder

Lilypons would be beautiful, and low or no cost. If I'm not mistaken Lilypons is for sale (anybody want to go in on purchasing it with me?) I would plan on entering some fish, and would help as much as possible. Having said that, the closer to home/work the better for me, so Richmond/Fredericksburg would be great. What about Blue Ribbon Koi (4641 Sudley Road Catharpin, VA 20143)?

6. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

Need more Virginia consensus

There are many people in the greater Richmond,Va and DC are that are on this page, I wish you folks in the area would PM you friends and ask them to vote and answer,thanks!:exact:

If we want a better goldfish experience we have to make the effort!

7. LadysSolo

LadysSolo Breeder/keeper

May be able to go - depends on where it ends up being, and when. If I can make it, I will, and I always help. Carolyn

8. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

I don't live in the area, but my vote would be for it! Even though this show wouldn't be in my area, I think it's really important to get the word out on goldfish as a hobby and/or occupation. Increasing visibility and exposure is key to keeping the hobby alive...

Dies anyone have an interest in doing a show in the Portland, OR area! I would SO show up for that!

9. Ranchutoo

Ranchutoo Active Member

AGA Show

There is a four-hour distance (on a good day without rush hour traffic) between Lilypons and Richmond. Surely there's something closer to the primary three city cluster of Philadelphia, Washington, DC, and Frederick.

One of the locations that frequently has bonsai, orchid, and other exhibitions and competitions ~ and it's completely surrounded by a beautiful koi pond ~ is the National Arboretum. The local clubs use this facility for all sorts of Asian exhibitions and competitions, from hobbyists to artists to musicians.

While their website says they are currently writing new policies, I know that they would welcome the scheduling of something like an AGA show, which would be thematically consistent with the setting. With the National Bonsai exhibit, the Chinese and Japanese Gardens, and easy access from I-95, using that facility would be more than a gold fish show.

It would be cultural immersion.

Just a thought.

10. moriah1

moriah1 Active Member

I would have to have a date and location to commit to help:) If I can, I will!!

11. bkrhodesva

12. CStufft

CStufft Professional Breeder

People have to be willing to commit regardless of the location. Which is very tough! Without a commitment to do it, it will stall and go no where.

A core group of 3 or so need to say yes, put a date on the calendar and then worry about a venue.

As far as venues, any place that may host weddings is going to be impossibly expensive to rent for a show. Outside venues present a lot of challenges but are possible.

It's kind of like a 'Field of Dreams' you have to build it and they will come.

Chris

13. Koi girl

Koi girl Active Member

I would be very interested in attending as our local club is very koi-centric. South of DC (Richmond) would work best for me but would attend either. I think I know at least one other NCKWS member who would be interested as well.

14. Rob Barry

Rob Barry Member

I volunteered to help set up and tear down. All my Goldfish are Pet quality but cool pets anyway. It would be my hope that there would be some interesting specimens for sale...

Rob

15. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

Has the location been identified yet?

Thanks

16. coldwatergold

coldwatergold Cold Water Gold

I hope the group can pull off a show.

I will help, I will bring fish to show.
    Last show I was able to attend was the Mid-Atlantic Koi Club/AGA show in Carroll Co., MD., in 2008. seems like forever ago. Won lots of ribbons!
    I have completed the poll. Good luck group. Lets pull this off!

17. coldwatergold

coldwatergold Cold Water Gold

Any MAKC people out there?

Seems like there was a three contract with Carroll county agricultural center, so the last AGA show there was 2009. In 2010 there was a lack of venders to support the show? The economy was worse then too.

18. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

A date?

It seems there maybe enough people, now a time and place is due for discussion:eek:mg:

19. bkrhodesva

I put in the paperwork to use my school (Richmond, VA) for the show. I think I might be able to get the room for free which will be a def help! Here is one half the room and there is an equal amount of space that you cannot see to the right in the photo for aquariums etc.

[​IMG]

20. bigbettadan

bigbettadan Professional Breeder Staff Member

Looks like a good space. Setting a date is the next step.

Dan