Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Air Pump Recommendation

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by small_ranchu, Feb 6, 2012.

1. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

From last few weeks, I have received a lot of questions regarding air pump and decide to start this thread.

For starter with a couple of aquariums, I would use Tetra space ship design airpump. It's real quiet and does the job.

Click here to view the product at Amazon.com

For serious people with more than 3 tubs / big aquarium, I would go for Alita series. Alita Al-6 is the smallest one at Alita line and can handle 4-6 air lines easily with a lot of air. Additionally it is very quiet.
    Click here to view Alita pump at Amazon.com

You will need manifold for big airpump. link to manifold

2. LadysSolo

LadysSolo Breeder/keeper

I would agree with the Tetra if you are buying new. If you can find the old "whisper" pumps used and have access to the repair kits, I have some old Whisper pumps that I have rebuilt countless times (the diaphragms and "flappers" wear out and get stiff) since I originally got them in the 1970s and 1980s. They will essentially go on forever, IMHO. Some pumps aren't worth the money. Carolyn

KimA. likes this.
  3. VeiltailGuy

VeiltailGuy Professional Breeder

4. bluebelly

bluebelly Ambassador

5. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

Aquatic Ecsystems

AES makes and stocks some great , quiet large and moderate pumps. The Japa nese manufacturer is really great ( sorry on the raod tonight)

6. beerbladder

beerbladder Active Member

Tetra airpumps

Do they make rebuild kits for the new Tetra air-pumps?
    I did a search and couldn't find anything. Hoping for a good pump that is quiet enough to use in the house.

7. 4Charlie

4Charlie Old School

8. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

9. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Rena are the quietest

I like the Rena 400. I has two pumps on the inside and runs two air lines guaranteed to pump down to 2 feet and are QUIET. When they are NOT quiet you can easily fix them up by opening them up and filling certain spots with hot glue. There is a youtube vid on how to do it. A new Rena Air 400 will run you 60 dollars. Yeah, kinda pricy. But if you want 2 feet down, quiet and two air lines each with it's own pump get one.

Glenn

10. Twig

Twig Member

11. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

That is not an air pump. It is a water pump.

12. Twig

Twig Member

Looks as though it functions as an air pump also. Not sure how effective it would be for my 200ltr tank

you can see it working here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hscEToo7p_k#t=505 (8mins 25seconds in)

13. TVRfan

TVRfan Professional Breeder

True powerheads and water pumps can inject air, and therefore aid in oxygenating water, but if you are asking about using that pump with goldfish in a 200 liter tank, I would not do it, and I would advise against using it as it will create a lot of water movement, most likely too much for any fancy variety of goldfish. That would be setter suited using it that way for riverine fish that are suited to fast flow, turbulent, highly oxygenated water. I will say that I did not bother to look at the video.

14. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

I thought about putting an aerator in my 400 gallons pond but with a pump-waterfall and a filter-pump in there, I'm afraid there would be too much movement for the goldfish? Any thoughts about that?

15. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Over the years, I have had many different air pumps from the very small to the very large and even blowers. I am a firm believer of airlift systems and in the process to use more and more airlifts in my 20,000 gallon pond.

Many previous posters have posted some excellent choices so I am only sharing my past experience.

Nowadays there are only a few countries/manufactures who make air pumps. Most just OEM and license the pumps under their own brands with or without minor cosmetic differences.

I found the Fusion air pumps are the quietest if you only need small amount of air because their largest model puts out 5.6 liters per minute. Surprisingly, the Aqua-Culture air pump (marketed by wally-world using a Chinese manufacture) is extremely quiet and powerful. The 20-60 gallon model puts out 2.8 liters per minute and I think it is under rated in air volume. And they only cost less than $8 if you order online (delivered to store, store price is a little higher). Many aquaponics/hydropnics people use that pump.

If you want more air, then try a 4 outlet one. Most of these are made by only a couple Chinese manufactures. For example, if you take a look at the Danner/Pondmaster AP line and the ones sold by Petsmart, you will find they are the same pump made by Resun. Among these, I found the ones sold by Petco (9904) is the most quiet, efficient, and low cost (wait for about a total 50% off so about $15 for the 9904 model). These are copies of the excellent German Sera pump and also made by Resun.

You get a larger air pump than you need and then adjust the output (preferably limits the electricity using a rheostat) to your need so the noise is lower.

If you need more air than these "aquarium air pumps", then there are many choices. Cost is usually inversely proportional to noise rather than the volume/pressure of air output.

If you do not mind a little noise (in a outside setting or basement/separate room), then these Chinese made "commercial" air pumps (often made by Resun, Hailea, SunSun, etc) are the absolute best deal. Take the EcoPlus Commercial 1 pump (it is made by Resun as the ACO-001 pump) as an example, it puts out 38 liters per minute at about 20 watts of power consumption. It can pump easily to a couple feet depth. Plus, the secrete is that these pumps cost almost nothing to service. The ones made about 10-20 years ago (I still have some running) used a very cheap materials for the two diaphragms. When they tear, the pumps gets very hot and loud. However, it is very easy to service. The trick is to use a bike inner tube to replace the diaphragms and then they can last for a long time. The ones made today use a higher quality rubber. In the winter, I have three of the EcoPlus Commercial 1 running to keep holes in the ice between my two ponds. In other seasons, I use larger models to drive larger diffusers.

If you want a little quietness, then use one of the large diaphragm pumps. Alita, HiBlow, Resun (Pond master and Danner plus a few other OEM models), Hailea, etc are all excelent choices. These Resun and Hailea models have come a long way and they are excellent. Pentair (Aquatic Ecosystems) market a couple made by Hailea and these are proven workhorses (more in Europe). Repairs kits for the Chinese models are very inexpensive and a new service kit will last a few years, depending on your ambient temperature and back pressure. New diaphragms can pretty much restore these to like new condition.

At one time, some Gast DDL (linear diaphragm air pumps, not the same linear piston as Medo) were made in Japan. These are the highest quality pumps using the best materials. I have been using a DDL 40 model running straight for 14 years still with the original diaphragms. It only uses less than 50 watts and puts out over 80 liters per minute between the two outlets. I also have four DDL 25 model and these use 28 watts and puts out more than 50 liters per minute. These are hard to find now. They are a little noisy but in terms of energy used, air output, and longevity, I have not seen a better pump.

Then there is that Medo linear piston pumps that can also be bought under a few OEM names. These are the best but also the most expensive. They can last a long time but repair kits are expensive. Also a new repair kit usually will not restore to like new condition due to piston wear.

So I use the "commercial" style pumps in ponds, diaphragm pumps for large tanks/tubs (central air system), then large aquarium pumps (preferably with rheostat adjustment) for smaller tanks. If all my tanks were concentrated in one place, then I would just run the 160 watt blower I have. Unfortunately, my tanks are scattered among three floors so I have to use different pumps.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  16. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

You can control the water movement /disturbance. Aeration is very beneficial to fish. Beneficial bacteria work more effortlessly with higher level of O2. The folks at pond boss forum have done tests and found aeration can gradually decrease bottom muck and surface scum. I initially did not believe so tried it. I increased the air in both of my ponds and miraculously, there are no more or much less waste accumulations, aka muck, on the bottom.

Back to your question, if you run an open diffuser with a strong air pump, you may get too much turbulence. If you put the diffuser in a PVC pipe, you will find there is less turbulence or it is now narrowed to a smaller area. Now if you add a 90 degree elbow on the PVC pipe, there will be even less turbulence. Even more, if part or the entire elbow is above the surface water, there will be even less^2 turbulence. Either or any way, the water is well aerated and saturated with O2.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    J.H. and Faebinder like this.
  17. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

A brilliant idea. Thank you.

18. mjfromga

mjfromga Well-Known Member

I spent so much money i didnt have upgrading my tank size, buying costlier fish food, getting water test kits, buying a bunch more water chemicals, raising water and light bills etc that I totally couldn't afford an expensive air pump even though I wanted my fishies to have one. I ended up looking around and ended up with this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301672176367?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Its kinda noisy, but its quite powerful and it does its job quite well. For such a CHEAP pump so far I'm impressed. It has two outlets and I use both of them. I can buy 3 of them for what one of the Tetra things cost. Here is a video of how it looks (sorry for talking to my fishies like babies)

My airstone thingies are working quite well (they were also cheap!). My fishies have never been happier. The noise is slightly annoying so I'd not suggest this pump for bedroom tanks etc. but for economy and functionality, its doing great so far. Just figured I'd post here :)

19. Orandakeeper1

Orandakeeper1 Member

I have a four tube air pump from amazon, it's for ponds but works great on my 40gallon.

20. rondha.pratt

rondha.pratt New Member

I use the Tetra Whisper Air Pump (Non-UL and am thoroughly impressed with its performance. Have been in operation over a year with no issues faced at all. This pump is the air pump that is not merely inexpensive, it puts up outstanding functionality too as per this good guide.

I'd truly appreciate if you could kindly please share your feedback. :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017