Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Algae eater

Discussion in 'New Members' Area' started by 10reefman, Jan 27, 2016.

1. 10reefman

10reefman Member

witch algae eater is safe with goldfish?

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

this questions comes up all of the time. Really no algae eater should be placed with a goldfish. Pleco's are often kept with goldfish without incident however many do behave aggressively toward goldfish. The smaller otto cats are peaceful but can become lodge in a goldfish's mouth. I would stay away from them if you want to keep goldfish

3. 10reefman

10reefman Member

4. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Joe is certainly right, with goldfish there is always a potential that either they will be bullied by other fish (all those flowing fins and diminished swimming ability can make for easy "prey"), or the goldfish can become the aggressor (that hunger of theirs is no joke).

I have seen mentions of bristlenose plecos doing reasonably well with goldfish due to their more passive nature and smaller size, and I personally have a few nerite snails in my tank (although more for my viewing enjoyment than for their algae-eating abilities). The main issue with common plecos is that they tend to go after goldfish's slime coats and can grow massive. And be sure to pick larger nerite snails, if you want them, because they definitely did get "investigated" by the fishies for the first week or so. They have to be big enough to hang on to the glass without being picked off, for sure. I also put some glass shrimp in the tank once, as an additional source of nutrients when I went on a vacation, but the goldfish hunted and ate those shrimp before I even left for the trip. So be advised that most "clean-up crews" that are recommended for freshwater aquariums will not work with goldfish. And consider that even if you add a fish or invertebrate to remove algae, they are still adding to the bioload of the tank and creating additional waste. That means more water changes and a bigger tank size, in most cases. So you create more work for yourself, when cleaning the algae off tank walls and decorations only takes a few minutes added to every other (if your algae grows quickly) water change.

Personally, I love my little nerite snails because they're beautifully patterned and such a unique contrast to the goldfish (I've watched Sam, my biggest zebra nerite, trek across the whole tank on many a day), but I certainly don't expect them to completely take care of any algae that grows on the walls. They do leave adorable little zigzag trails in the thicker algae areas, though! Think about that as well, if you want an algae-eater, you have to be willing to let the algae grow enough for them to have a constant supply. So you will never have a "spotless" aquarium if you want to keep them well fed.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Joshua's golds likes this.
  5. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that whatever you get to eat the algae will poop out the algae, plus whatever else it manages to eat. So that will still need to be cleaned up or be sucked up by the filter. I use my Mag Float to take care of any algae on the glass but honestly I don't get much except a slight haze.

CaliGold likes this.
  6. 10reefman

10reefman Member

Good info thanks again

7. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Hi Fin Banded Shark.... Great Algae eater with goldfish but it's best used in a pond cause they grow big like Koi.

8. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

Hi 10 reefman i am keeping this pleco with my goldfish he doesn't bothers them only thing you have to keep in mind is to only keep one only as when i kept a pair the stronger one killed the weaker one in night. So only keep one pleco in one tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Bristlenose plecos are good.