Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Ammonia poisoning!

Discussion in 'New Members' Area' started by gcecil, Jan 11, 2016.

1. gcecil

gcecil Member

hi guys..
    so my goldfish is almost 10 years old - he has been doing well thus far but for the past week, has had all the symptoms of Ammonia poisoning. i tested the water with strips, which gave me a very high ammonia reading! ( i am waiting for my liquid testers to arrive)
    i have done lots of water changes (1/3 - half once every 2 weeks) thus far, and now i have done an emergency 100% water change.
    i am not sure of what to do now! could someone please let me know of what if i have to do something different?

thank you in advance.

Cecil

2. mjfromga

mjfromga Well-Known Member

Your water changes aren't nearly enough. You need to be doing at least 50% WC once EVERY week. What kind of goldfish do you have and how big is the fish and the tank? From what I read, damage from ammonia poisoning is pretty irreversible.

CaliGold likes this.
  3. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

Number of fish? Tank size? Any filter? Anything new with that tank?

GoldenMcNewbie and CaliGold like this.
  4. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

He's 10, you gotta do at least half EVERY week if you don't want the old guy to go through it again.

5. gcecil

gcecil Member

thanks for the reply everyone.
    he is about 8 inches. only fish in the tank
    he is in a 30 Gal tank.
    nothing had chenged before this. just been doing the same thing, since i rescued him from a lab 10 years ago.

6. gcecil

gcecil Member

is there any antidote to give him for ammonia poisoning?

7. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Lots of fresh water, and love. An 8" fish in a 30 gallon seems a bit cramped to me (unless it is a 30g breeder, what does this aquarium measure from front to back 12" or 18"?).
    I would try to upgrade to a 40G breeder, or even a 65g or 75g. In addition, I would recommend a lot of large water changes, 50-80% weekly is "normal" for the majority of fishkeepers within this forum, however, you want to do better than "normal". I would do no less than 75% - 2 x week, say Monday & Thursday, for example.

Keep in mind the more water volume that you make available to the fish, the longer it will take for Ammonia to accumulate within the water column.
    What type of filter are you using?, and how often do you rinse it?
    Any substrate in the aquarium? Recently do a gravel vac job?

gcecil likes this.
  8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Congrats on keeping him for ten years. You need at least a 55 gallon or larger for him at this time with proper filtration and food. If you cannot do this, 90% water changes weekly and more depending on your water quality. Get yourself a good testing kit

gcecil likes this.
  9. mjfromga

The only thing that can help a fish with ammonia burns and poisoning is continued LACK of ammonia. Damage caused to gills etc is more or less irreversible and will heal up to a certain point on its own with clean water. No medicine can help this. If your TAP water is showing ammonia readings, Seachem Prime will benefit you more than normal dechlorinators. With your fish size and tank size, filtration and water changes will need to be on point. Large and frequent. What kind of filter do you have and how do you clean it etc? This question needs to be answered because it could be the root of your problems.

gcecil and Fishheadz like this.
  10. gcecil

gcecil Member

Thanks for the reply guys.
    I use a tetra filter.
    I vacuum the tank regularly with every water change. I change the filter every 4 weeks. I used to do a 1/3 to 50% water change every 2 weeks. Now I do it every 2 days.
    Just changed 100% 2 days ago.

11. mjfromga

No good. You need to be cleaning your filter in tank water once or twice a week, not letting the toxins build up for a month, and then throwing out all your good bacteria. Not only does that waste money and materials, it is a detriment to your tanks balance. That likely contributed to your ammonia issue. At LEAST 50% changes need to be done WEEKLY, and in your case, probably 75% changes as another user said. Your fish will probably recover if you make SURE ammonia levels stay at zero. With that being said, you were pretty lucky to have this fish live such a long time. Additionally, what SIZE is your filter? You likely need to size up. The filters that come with the tanks really aren't adequate.

12. DCSteve

DCSteve Active Member

In an emergency Seachem Prime will detoxify the ammonia so your fish can live but change water immediately and just rinse the filter media in a bucket of water taken from the tank. You can change out portions of the filter media from time to time but less than half at any one time. Filter media should last for three months, at least.