Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Api fungus cure as topical?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by SandyBottom, Jan 28, 2016.

1. SandyBottom

SandyBottom Well-Known Member

Howdy. I have two new babies, a lionhead and a pom pom. I have had them for 6 days in qt.This morning the lionhead had a fungus looking spot on his back and a pinkish spot on his head. I added a little melafix and I am in the process of bring up the salt to .33 . After about 3 hours I cannot see the rather large looking spot on his back. The pink one on his head is still there. Is this over production of mucous?

I will keep an eye on him. I will always attempt to treat naturally if possible.

However I was forced to look at the meds that I do have, that I never use.

So my question is...has anyone used API fungus cure as a swab on treatment? If so where the results positive?

I am not considering using it at this time. I think clean water ,salt and the natural antifungal of the Melaleuca should suffice for now.

I also have metro meds food. It is over a year old though. Always in an airtight container. Still good?

Thanks in advance.

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

is your qt tank cycled. You need to measure your water conditions. I would do a large water change and add salt

3. SandyBottom

SandyBottom Well-Known Member

qt is cycled,
    Ammo -0
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate -5 ish
    I did 70 % wc first thing this morning, before I noticed his spots. They get 70% wc every other day. I mentioned earlier that I added salt and melafix. Aside from a bit of the pink spot remaining on his head, he seems fine. Maybe he rubbed up against the rock my anubias is attached to and got a little scuff?

My question was about using API fungus cure as a swab on topical for stubborn fungus. Just for future reference or just plain curiosity. I saw on the website that it could be used for baths or as a topical. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

4. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

I use Pimafix with melafix if I suspect fungus but joe's advise is solid and what I do is an overkill. Fungal infections are either a low immune system problem or an unclean condition.

If this is just superficial and you believe it's not a low immunity issue (like a cold tank or unclean tank) then you could use hydrogen peroxide dabs to the lesion twice a day and do a 100% water change with a clean up in peroxide to the plants.