Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

API Fungus Cure

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Scifisarah, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

I am having a lousy time with the fish from my daughter's tank. I got them cured of ich and back into their tank which is now cycled, but the edges of their fins are whitish and I believe it is fungal. When I was treating them for the ich, I only did 50% water changes daily in a 10 gal bin with airstone and I know that was that was enough. By the next morning the ammonia was around 0.25 ppm. If I have them in a 10 gallon bin and do 100% water changes each day, how do I medicate with the API Fungus Cure? The box directions are "1 packet then wait 48 hours, another packet and wait another 48 then 25% water change and replace carbon in filter." I have no filter in the bin and don't want to treat the main tank or all the filter beneficial bacterial will be wiped out, correct? I can't leave them in the bin four days without a water change and wonder how I can do this correctly.

2. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

When I used the general cure like that I add a packet with each water change. May wanna reduce feeding to reduce the need for daily water changes.

3. Scifisarah

So if it is fungal, the treatment below should work in their sterilite tote quarantine? I am worried that I introduced something to their tank with that Mopani wood that started growing slime on it, yuck. I removed the wood and have done two 90% water changes on their tank since then. Hopefully they won't just get it again when I return them to the tank.

API Fungus Cure packet to 10 gallons water
    ...wait 24 hours
    100% water change + API Fungus Cure packet
    ...wait 24 hours
    ...wait 24 hours
    ...wait 24 hours
    Return fish to aquarium

PS: I had Maracyn and Maracyn II on hand, but noticed that they expired 1 and 2 years ago, so the Fungus Cure was my only option.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  4. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Yes that should work for superficial fungal infections. The way the box states to do it actually escalates the dosage in the water, which is funny but doesnt make sense. Meds need a steady level in any system, not an escalating level. They presume that you have a filter in your tank that breaks down the antifungal and thus need an escalating dosage. They also presume that the tank is established and therefore doesnt need more than weekly water changes. You can actually argue that point even if the fish was not sick and in a filtered tank but that's a side note.

5. SandyBottom

SandyBottom Well-Known Member

Many medicines break down after 24-48 hrs. So no escalation. This is why you use more than one dose.many are affected by light.Filter bacteria will not break down meds. Organic compounds can absorb it to a point, making it less effective.this is the reason for doing 20% or so wc before medicating.

Could always follow directions for fungus cure and use Seachem Prime to detox ammonia etc.

6. Scifisarah

Here are photos of the three goldfish. I had them back in their tank starting yesterday afternoon. I tested this morning and am grumpy to find that there is a little ammonia as I probably messed up the cycle taking all the fish out for a week. pH 8.0 ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0 nitrate 3ish . I did a 50% water change and took a bag of aqua clear biomax I had hanging in my other tank and added it to their tank, so hopefully that should help pick up the slack. I also added Seachem Prime, Stability and Stress Guard. Blue oranda has damaged fins. When I started treating with the API Fungus Cure, they were just whitish on the edges, but I think the pleco I rehomed caused more damage. Also all fish have slightly cloudy eyes and trouble seeing. The green tinge from treating with the API Fungus Cure is gone today, though. I am feeding soilent green, but half the time they go to eat it, and then spit it out again. I put a piece of spinach in there on a clip so the two snails will have something to eat since I don't want to overfeed the soilent green for them to get any right now. What a mess. I imagine this all started putting them under too much stress with the original treatment for ich, but despite getting rid of that, everything is going downhill.

So after seeing photos - should I just keep up with daily water changes, and add Seachem Prime, Stability and Stress Guard each time?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]