Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

API Test kit - Am I using it right?

Discussion in 'Water Maintainence' started by mjfromga, Jan 8, 2016.

1. mjfromga

mjfromga Well-Known Member

Everyone is telling me I screwed up the use of the kit. I retested today and I decided to post what I did so people can help me if I made mistakes. I'm still a newbie so everything is helpful. PLEASE TELL ME if I did something wrong or if there is a problem. I want to do EVERYTHING correctly and welcome ALL criticism. Thanks!

Sorry for some of the crappy recording and the sniffing. My allergies are bothering me.

2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Do you have the instructions? If not, I'll repeat them. There are two nitrate bottles.

You put in ten drops of nitrate 1 and shake as you did.
    Then you take nitrate bottle 2 and shake it hard for 30 seconds.
    Add ten drops of nitrate 2 to the tube and shake hard for 1 minute.
    Then you wait five minutes before you read it to give the color time to develop.

Do that and I'll bet you don't get yellow. :)

Fishheadz and mjfromga like this.
  3. mjfromga

Thank you! I guess I misread the instructions!

4. mjfromga

After following the proper instructions, I did get a much darker yellow, but it still was not truly dark enough to reach the first color level so I'm good to go! Thanks! That is why I post here. The color almost matched the 5 ppm so I guess that is my nitrate level. Well within acceptable range :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Scifisarah and Fishheadz like this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

With the way you take such good care of your fish that is the nitrate level I would expect

mjfromga and CaliGold like this.
  6. mjfromga

Thanks! Fortunately shakaho helped me use the test properly. I am very glad she helped me. My levels are still very good, but now my results are 100% accurate. What is the high range PH test for? How do I use it properly?

Fishheadz likes this.
  7. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

If you use the pH test (which reads pH from 6 to 7.6) and you read 7.6 or it's even bluer than 7.6, you have to use the high pH test to determine the pH. This reads pH from 7.4 to 8.8.

Fishheadz likes this.
  8. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

Yeah that one is the more complicated one. I do a silly shaking the vial dance and my kids giggle at me. :) I figured it would be low since you keep up with the changes so well. Mine was somewhere between 5-10 after not changing any water for about a week.

Also wanted to let you know that we're moving my daughter's goldfish Thunder out of the 2.5 gallon tank since you seemed concerned. He was doing fine in there while being so small, but I picked up a 14 gallon Biocube for her room today from Craigslist. That will be his home until he is bigger and moves into the main tank.

mjfromga likes this.
  9. mjfromga

Hello. Thanks, I did the test properly and its 5 ppm or lower. Perfectly normal. Good for my little dudes. Your daughters fish will be much happier in a larger tank. I'm sure he'd have been fine for a while since your tank had seemingly good parameters, but I'm glad you're moving him. Hope to see some photos of the little guy soon. My fish are poop monsters, so I'm seemingly always changing their water.