Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Aqauscape Vs. Fancy Goldfish

Discussion in 'Goldfish VS Plant' started by Juppie4, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Juppie4

Juppie4 Ricky Jay

Hey everyone,

So I thought I would write a quick post about my new tank I set up several weeks ago. To give you a bit of context I have been keeping Fancy goldfish for about 12 years, more or less consistently (move country a lot so short breaks between moves). To add to that I must confess I started out like many others with a goldfish bowl next to my bed. This soon advanced to a larger cylindrical vase and then progressively larger tanks.

Having had a bare bottom tank for the last 4 to 5 years I recently decided to give a planted tank a try. I really love the look and feel of aquascaped tanks and in particularly the nature style pioneered by the world famous Takashi Amano. So began my experiment. Could I have a nice aquascaped tank with my favorite fish. As we all know Fancies are notoriously brutal on plants and quite susceptible to ornaments in the form of rocks and wood, so I knew going ahead with this could be difficult and could end in failure. But I decided to go ahead!

I bought a rimless 50gallon ADA tank and began to learn about aquascaping as much as I could. It was the first time trying a proper aquascape and so the experience was a lot more difficult than I had anticipated. I had watched a lot of tutorials and like most expert videos they make it look easy! Simple things like layering soil and sand are a lot more difficult and messy than it looks in the videos. Anyway long story short I settled on a scape which I am pretty happy with for a first try. Most of all I learnt a lot and I think that's what fish keeping and aquariums are all about.

After cycling the tank for several weeks I ordered some fish from and have recently introduced them to the tank. I must say that seeing the Goldfish in a more "natural" looking habitat is a real treat to see and the fish seem to be comfortable for now.

That said!!!! the title of the post isn't Aqauscape VS. Fancy Goldfish for nothing. At first it was a bit of a battle between the fish and the lay out. In the first 24 hours a lot of aquatic gardening was done both by me and by the fish as they re-arranged the layout to their liking. Any plants that weren't secured tightly were soon pulled out.

It's still early days and the experiment is by no means a success and/or failure yet. Time will tell if the fish remain healthy and vibrant in their environment. Bottom line for me if that Fauna will always trump Flora and so if the fish begin to suffer I will tear down the aquascape with no hesitation.

Anyway apologies for the short essay but thought I would share. Would love to hear your thoughts, comments and questions. I will try to update as things mature a bit.

If you want to keep up to date with my tank and fish and you have Instagram please follow my account Jappie's Fishies. https://instagram.com/jappiesfishies/

Thanks and enjoy!

Jappie

Attached Files:

2. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

You know, thats a nice looking tank, and it would be a shame to tear it down. However, not only will they keep "rearranging", but when your goldfish decide to spawn it is likely that they will tear themselves up on all that spikey wood.
    Plus, it will be difficult to syphon debris from the island area - essential for goldfish health, especially four fish in a 50g.

My advise would be to get some aquascape style schooling fish that will compliment this tank, and set up something else for the goldfish. Sandy bottom (very thin layer) and potted plants with tough leaves, or tied to very smooth, rounded driftwood would be a more ideal environment for them.

Lesatelescope, Marina and Juppie4 like this.
  3. Juppie4

Juppie4 Ricky Jay

Thanks for the tip. You're quite right about the spawning. When first introduced the males ganged up on the Oranda female and the resulting tussle led to some damage to her scales. I will be setting up a new tank for her and will keep it to a bachelor herd in this tank, which should reduce this issue down to nothing hopefully. In regards to the wood it is actually a lot less sharp than it looks. I have watched the fish and how they move around the edges and so far it doesn't seem to pose much of an issue. Will keep a close eye on it though!

Thanks again for the reply.

4. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Yes, a male only tank would be a good thing to try. I think that every casual hobbyist should separate males and females - less stress on the fish and the owners! Good luck.

Marina likes this.
  5. lys

lys Member

What a beautiful tank! Hopefully your ranchus enjoy it :)

6. smaugthefishy

smaugthefishy New Member

Wow that tank is so beautiful! I haven't the skill to master planted tanks yet, but that is hopefully my next adventure. :)

7. Tori

Tori Member

What a beautiful tank!

May I ask though - what type of fish do you mean (Ci) by "aquascape style schooling fish"?

Thanks!

8. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

When the focus is on the plantscape, people use schools of small fish like tetras (cardinals, rummynose, lemon, etc), rasboras, glass catfish, hatchet fish etc. Fish that don't mess up the plants or hide and look more in scale with the scene they are creating.

Marina and Tori like this.
  9. Juppie4

Juppie4 Ricky Jay

A little update on the tank for anyone that's interested. I would say so far it has been a success. After a few weeks the Goldfish stopped tearing anything out, or at least had taken anything loose out and had left anything to strong to be disturbed. I have added quite a few plants since the original shots and the tank feels more like a jungle now than before. The fish seem pretty happy however haven't grown all that much as I have kept feeding quite low to balance out the fact that the tank is higher maintenance than a bare bottom tank.

I have maintained a pretty strict 30% water change every two days time permitting and values tend to hold pretty steady. The fish tend to spawn around every 2 weeks and while in the beginning this was a major issue for the female she seems to shrug it off quite easily now, think she might have gotten stronger in the meantime and isnt as easily bullied by the fraternity.

Trying to upload pics but need to figure out how to resize first!

10. alorindanya12

alorindanya12 Active Member

I am interested in getting live plants for my tank as well and was wondering what would be 'tough leaved' plants. Any particular plant species that would be an ideal start for beginners?

11. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Anubias and Amazon Swords seem to be decent beginner plants, along with Java Fern. :)

Lou likes this.
  12. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Java Fern! Tough, beautiful, does not mind cold (room) temperature or low lighting, and most goldfish do not touch it. I never tasted it :) but it was always said that the leaves are bitter so fish do not like it.

CaliGold likes this.
  13. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

I was thinking if I do get live plants in my main tank, instead of just trying to plant them in the substrate, I will use silicone rubberbands and attach them to some of those polished river stones that can be buried. I think that would make it much more difficult for the goldfish to rearrange. Right now I just have some Anubias nana tied to wood in my smaller tank.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    Joshua's golds likes this.
  14. CC11

CC11 Active Member

I tye my plants down as well. I have also found that fish that are not used to plant tend to go nuts eating them for a while then calm down. Plants with small leaves and fine stems don't last long either. But you can get the "sifter" who's main joy in life is getting those plants floating on top of the tank

15. Jackie's Goldfish

Jackie's Goldfish Active Member

Is that a bio cube tank

16. wizard

wizard Active Member

I have had success with the following plants in my goldfish display tank...

1) Rotala wallichii
    2) Myriophyllum tuberculatum
    3) Bacopa caroliniana
    4) Nymphaea lotus
    5) Anubias
    6) Cryptocoryne wendtii
    7) java moss
    8) Staurogyne repens
    9) Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii'

Also i have the below plants... which is not visible in the photograph...
    Ludwigia repens 'Rubin'
    Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow'

Substrate is proper planting substrate and i dose with liquid carbon once a week. Ans use 30W, 6000k Led lighting. Until the plants root properly, goldfish tend to uproot some of the plants.
    I use small pebbles around the plants, so that goldfish cant get to the roots. Once rooted no issues at all. Need to constantly maintain the plants, need to
    remove the old leave and trim when they grow big. other than that i had no issues. My nitrates are almost 0 most of the time.
    IMG_5765 - Copy.JPG

KimA., thePhysicist, CaliGold and 3 others like this.
  17. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Wizard, that is one gorgeous planted goldfish tank! So inspiring!

wizard likes this.
  18. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Beautiful tank, plants, and fish!

wizard likes this.
  19. Goldie^HawnSolo

Goldie^HawnSolo Member

WOW that's AMAZING!

wizard likes this.
  20. CC11

CC11 Active Member

Both of these tasks are very lovely.