Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Are my new orandas ok?

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by 2Orandas, Jan 12, 2018.

1. 2Orandas

2Orandas Member

BCCF9448-F0F0-4233-985A-BF4A26E24FF2.jpeg 5B503525-BB70-4708-B9D3-C4E609C2E71E.jpeg Hi there, I am new to having Orandas, but I have had experience with other fresh water fish. I have always loved Orandas and I was so excited and did a lot of research before purchasing. That being said, I am worried about my new babies, here is why...

When I purchased my orandas, I purchased what appeared to be three very healthy fish. Sadly, a few days after bringing them home (maybe 2 days) the littlest one developed a bulging eye and a few days later I noticed it began to show signs of Dropsy. I made a hospital tank for the little guy and did everything I could. Unfortunately he passed. The other two orandas (Charlie Chaplin and Sharky) seemed perfectly fine. Now I don’t know if I am being paranoid, but I am worried about them. Charlie is mostly white and I am noticing he has visible veins in his tail. And today, I noticed Sharky (red and white) suddenly has a dark red spot on the side of his head and is starting to have dark red coloring on his fins. Here is their tank situation. I hope this is all normal growth/color change, but I don’t want to leave it alone if I should be treating them for something! Thank you!!

I have a 45 gal fully cycled aquarium. Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-5ppm ph-7.5 I do weekly water changes, about 50% the two orandas are juveniles. Charlie is mostly white and his body is about 3 inches (not including tail) and Sharky is red/white and is about 2 inches (not including tail). Food - repashy super gold gel food, and Hikari oranda food. Live plants, sand substrate, 2 hob filters 500/ gph I hope I have provided enough info and not too much! I tried taking a picture of Charlie’s tail veins and of course now they are barely visible!

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

what type of test kit are you using strips or API drop test. Seeing some red veins in all white and red and white fish is not unusual so long as it does not intensify. The red spot on the fish could be anything sometimes they bang in things and get little irritations. Your water looks a bit cloudy in the pictures so make sure you do indeed have a fully cycled tank. Make sure you vacuum that sand as a lot of debris can get under that sand. If your fish are active and eating and your water conditions are excellent I would not worry about this too much

3. MikeM

MikeM Active Member

The only thing I would add to what Joe said is to add some aquarium salt from time to time after your water change. Follow the directions on the carton. In my experience a little salt keeps 95% of problems away. Weekly water changes, clean sand, and a little salt. Good luck

4. 2Orandas

2Orandas Member

I am using the Liquid API master test kit, water perimeters are from yesterday when I tested the water. I vacuum the sand weekly. They are very active fish, and recently they have been acting like they are spawning kind of? They bump each other and some times push each other into the sand, maybe that’s why he has a red dot. Thank you for the help!

5. 2Orandas

2Orandas Member

Will do! Thank you!

6. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

I do not agree with the salt suggestion. Salt used "from time to time" on healthy fish is more likely to ensure it doesn't work when the fish actually needs it. In my experience, good water quality and food keep 95% of the issues away.

7. 2Orandas

2Orandas Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg here are my orandas now, they are acting normal, but is this color change abnormal? Everything I read leads me to think of ammonia burn, but my water reads 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrate and I do weekly water changes. I’m so confused.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018 at 4:57 AM
  8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

your fish look fine, they are going through normal color changes or healing from ammonia issues. Just keep up with your water and your fish will be fine

9. 2Orandas

2Orandas Member

Okay! Thank you very much!