Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Are these plants ok?

Discussion in 'Goldfish VS Plant' started by Mrs803, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Mrs803

Mrs803 Member

I just bought a set of water plant bulbs and there is 1 water lily 1 water onion and 2 aponogeton and I just want to make sure these are ok to put in my goldfish tank. It says for fish tanks but it doesn't specify a certain fish.

2. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

When the young leaves on the lily will start to come up, goldfish will eat them. Depending on aponogeton species it might be spared by the goldfish. Water onion, also depends, but may not survive for a long time in your tank, it has to be grown as semiaquatic plant to thrive.

Generally speaking, these, except for Aponnogeton are not the best plants for the goldfish tank.

3. ballroomcoghlan

ballroomcoghlan Active Member

Anubias

I have founds Anubias to be the most stalwart of all indoor underwater plants.

4. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

Second the anubias and nominate java fern, as well!

5. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

and Amazon Sword, (or other sword type's, such as sword compacta)

6. Mrs803

Mrs803 Member

I am totally new to anything aquatic plant type so i just bought the set at petsmart which i know is probably not the best place to find the right things because there always seems to be a problem. Do you guys buy them online? do you have any links? thanks!

7. firefly1152

firefly1152 Active Member

If you go to petsmart, they usually have plants in individual containers that are for sale. They're usually pretty cheap. Or if you have a good local fish store, they might order plants for you, if you tell them what you want. It's also a good idea to research the types of plants you plan on getting.

Amazon sword likes to be planted in the substrate, while Anubis and java fern shouldn't be planted, so you would have to figure out how you want to secure them. I use fishing line and tie them to driftwood.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  8. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

It's fine to get the individual plants in containers at PetSmart, the larger ones are a little pricey I think around $6 or $7, while the smaller ones are usually around $3-$4. Be careful when buying the individual container plants, as some are for terrariums, and some are only semi-aquatic (they grow above the water), each container will say on it what its best suited for. (It's ok, I too made the same mistake when I first started)

Some PetSmart stores have a larger aquatic plant display, usually a 3 tiered system, these plants are sold in "bundles", and are in about the same price range.

Other LFS's may have different species of plants that PetSmart doesn't stock, that you might find interesting.

You can use small pots with substrate in them for plants that need substrate, and you can use fishing line to tie* other plants that don't require substrate to small (smooth, fish safe) rocks, or driftwood.

* Tip - You can look up some fishing knots online to tie the line so that it won't come undone.

9. goldfishntn

goldfishntn Well-Known Member

Great thread. I was actually about to ask the same thing.

10. TVRfan

TVRfan Professional Breeder

If you want to buy online check out aquarium plants.com. Or Aquabid. Aquabid of course is from many different people, businesses, so checkout feedback before jumping on anything too pricey to make sure the seller has good feedback.

11. Aqualegal

Aqualegal Member

Whatever plants you do use, Qt them, especially if they come from tanks with fish in them. Also, watch for snails. One snail will cause you to have 100's to 1000's in your tank.
    I like hornwort. It grows fast. I tie it on to fake plants for the weight. And once it reaches a certain height I cut it down and add it to the tied portion. Works great for keeping water stable.

12. loltune

loltune Member

I have amazon swords and crypto wentii green which are driving in bare bottom gold fish tank. I put them in a clear plastic food container.

13. ballroomcoghlan

ballroomcoghlan Active Member

Anubias

Absolutely the best, most hardy, indestructible plant readily available. Occasionally flowers. Low light. High light. And also easily propagated. The roots will actually attach to porous rocks. You can do some beautiful things with Anubias.

14. Blackfox

Blackfox Member

If you do use petsmart and get plants out of the 3 tiered system, watch out for snails. My tropical tank became infested and they ate everything! took forever to get rid of them all