Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Been lurking for a while...

Discussion in 'New Members' Area' started by QandO, Feb 4, 2016.

1. QandO

QandO Active Member

...and took the plunge to join the site.

Great info here. Love to have the chance to learn from the breeders as well.

My tank is a 75 gallon with a thai oranda, 2 golfball pearlscales, a juvenile bubble eye and 3 juvenile pearlscales. I did not plan to put all the juvenile fish in this tank but that is where they will be for a few months at least.

I do not have good pics of my juvenile pearlscales yet. Are there any good links to what juvenile pearlscales should look like/what to look for in them? They are not as round bodied as my golfballs and their scales are not as pronounced. If there are any grooming techniques that would help them buff up to their full potential I would appreciate it. It is the one bit of information I have not been very successfull finding on the web/Google.

Thanks. Here are some pics.

IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0226.JPG IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0240.JPG

Fishheadz likes this.
  2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

the round bodies of golf balls and pearling of scales is more of genetic thing than grooming. I prefer the look of the longer pearl scale like the one in your picture. With that said pearl scales are raised in shallow water with very low water current as they are not the best swimmers especially golf ball ones. I would remove the ship and plastic plants from your tank as they may damage the pearls scales and bubble eyes. Nice fish and welcome here

3. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Very cute fish! I agree with joe, removing any decorations that could potentially cause problems for your bubble eye or pearlscales is definitely something to consider. I like your little bubble eye's color. :)

Although their shape and scales may be mostly defined by genetics, a good varied diet will at least keep them healthy and able to grow better. What are you feeding all of your fish? :)