Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Best antibiotic for septicemia?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by cricketluu, Jan 22, 2016.

1. cricketluu

cricketluu Active Member

My best guess is that my ryukin has hemorrhagic septicemia; bloated, mushy rump, raised scales, floating problems, etc. I'm searching for info on the best antibiotic to treat it and found recs for Kanamycin, ordered Kanaflex, but won't arrive til Tuesday. Before finding that i ordered Amoxicillin and it arrives tomorrow. Petsmart has Erythromycin available.

Anyone with experience in successfully treating this with antibiotics who can guide me?

2. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

How do u know it's hemorrhagic?

3. cricketluu

cricketluu Active Member

Because he appears to have blood under his skin.

4. Faebinder

Then the fish is a goner imo short of intramuscular antibiotics.

In theory you need metronidazole and any of the ones you listed unless you figure out the bacteria or fungus type. I'm not a fish doctor.

5. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

As Faebinder said, metronidazole should be in your fishy medicine chest. The combination of metro and triple sulfa (available at the big box pet stores) treats most infections. I agree that your fish may be too far gone, but you can try.

A fish store should have metro, but if you don't have one locally, you can get "API General Cure" from a pet store. This contains metro, but you should double the dose.

6. cricketluu

cricketluu Active Member

He is still fairly spunky and eating well, so I'm hoping he has a chance. I just need to find the right antibiotic and am hearing different opinions. Where would I find antibiotics that can be given IM and where do you give the shot?

7. Faebinder

There is a good video online on how to do it... Here is the link. Look at multiple videos. Essentially make the injection towards the head and along the muscle line of the muscles lining the back spine.

If the fish is eating.. then feed it medicated food.

Where to find liquid antibiotics for an injection? I got my own way of getting antibiotics, so someone else needs to give you a lead on where to buy them.

8. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

You don't have a lot of time to waste. The fact that he's got raised scales ANYWHERE is a fair indication that you are dealing with dropsy. This is incredibly tough to battle and generally once these symptoms present, the problem is dire. I would use aquarium salt AND Epsom salt and dose kanamycin and metronidazol or nitrofurazone. Do yourself a favor and get some medicated food and keep it on hand. The medications milled directly into food are more readily assimilated into a fish's system than med particles floating in the water. I use medicated flakes from Angels Plus.

9. cricketluu

cricketluu Active Member

Amazingly enough, last night I found Seachem Kanaplex at the privately owned fish store a few blocks away. I dosed his hospital tank. During my copious research at Seachem site, I found that this product is readily absorbed through the gills and it doesn't sound like it's advisable to feed it as well as dosing the water. It's compatible with Metronidazole (also available at the fish shop nearby), but I have no idea if it's safe to do a full dose of both meds. Of course, Seachem support is off for the weekend.

My fish had been improving prior to finding the antibiotics as I've been treating with natural remedies. His scales were at a 45 degree angle when I first noticed they were raised and by last night they were at a 15 degree angle. Raised scales are a sign of fever in the case of bacterial infection. Dropsy is the condition of retaining fluids, secondary to another condition like bacterial infection and he's had both going on for the last 48 hours. All of this started with a sudden loss of a 1" diameter chunk of scales from his rump, right down to the dermis, but not into the muscle. That was 4 days ago and I began treating him right away. I don't know what it is... can't find a single photo like it online. It's not your typical red or white ulcer, but I'm guessing it's bacterial infection and am hopeful the Kanaplex will take care of it. If I don't see improvement after a couple of doses (this med is dosed every 2 days) I'll add the Metro once I can find out the safe combo dose.

I'll always keep an array of antibiotics on hand in the future. In my 6 years of goldfish keeping I've never needed one before, but I'll never be without them again.