Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Betta Care Questions

Discussion in 'Member's Chat' started by orangecrush, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

A friend of mine was gifted with a Betta in one of those Betta setups with the vase on the bottom with the fish and a plant on top to utilize the nitrates.

Realizing that this is not the proper housing for a Betta and that there are several serious Betta keepers on here. I thought I would ask, what are the proper requirements?

1- Tank size and shape?
    2- Water temp. and parameters
    3-WC schedule?
    4- Foods and feeding schedule?
    5- Anything else breed specific?

Thanks, Jim.

2. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Well-Known Member

1) Mine is in a 10 gallon but 2.5 - 5 are sufficient.
    2) I have a heater that keeps my water at 78 degrees, perfect for a betta.
    3) I change the water twice per week.
    4) He gets fed twice per day with betta bits or bloodworms.
    5) Heater and a hiding place are necessities. Also I highly recommend the Tetra Whisper PF 10 as a filter. It's small, does a good job, and doesn't create too much surface agitation, as betta's don't like this. It works much better than a sponge filter. I picked mine up from Chewy.com for $12.

orangecrush likes this.
  3. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Well-Known Member

This is my little guy, Flame, and his tank for reference. The rock that I use for his hiding place is actually sold as a cichlid hideaway but works perfect for Betta's.

Attached Files:

4. TeleKeeper

TeleKeeper Active Member

1- Tank size and shape?
    3-WC schedule?

Five gallon square like shape
    I have a small heater hidden in the curved area that keeps it at 78
    Once a week
    I feed betta buffet floating pellets and bloodworms
    Filters that don't create a lot of current are ideal so something adjustable or a sponge filter are great for these guys and as Cheyenne said they love places to go into and hide and sleep in

My tank is a bit emptier then I'd like but it give you an idea. This is a top Fin aquarium I got on sale for $50

Sorry I pretty much copied you Cheyenne but you hit the nail on the head haha

Attached Files:

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

great looking half moon betta. I have a dumbow ear betta

6. SimplyDez

SimplyDez Active Member

Your betta is so pretty! I have a red betta in a 10 gallon with 5 neon tetras and two albino cory cats. I really want to get him one of those nice white Fluval tanks, but I'm saving up for a goldfish setup rn, soooooo I guess he'll have to wait lol

1- Tank size and shape?
    Regular 10 gallon rectangle

75 degrees F

3-WC schedule?
    100% every Friday, but I really should change less now that I added filter floss to my HOB

Hikari Betta about 8-10 pellets a day, plus he sometimes munches on the tropical fish flakes I feed the Neons. Tried bloodworms, but he doesn't eat them. The Neons got so full on them though that one was fat and still had about a quarter inch sticking straight out of his mouth that he couldn't swallow! It was sad and hilarious at the same time.

I find they like to flare at themselves. You can even buy a mirror for them to get some flaring exercise.

Also they need something to be able to lay on. They like quiet places in the tank with minimal flow and maybe a rock or one of those betta leafs to lay on.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  7. Carolina

Carolina Active Member

I kept mine in a 5g rectangular tank with some plants and a tiny sponge filter.