Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Black more with shredded tail

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Maile1007, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

What is Ammonia Level?
    What is Nitrite Level?
    What is Nitrate level?
    What is Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH)?
    What is Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH)?
    What is the brand of test-kit used(strips or drops)?
    What is your water temperature? ~75
    What is the size of the tank (how many gals.) and how long has it been set up? Just upgraded to a 75 gallon tank from a 55
    What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 2 filters rated 40-60 gal I believe they r top fin
    Is there any substrate in the tank? If so how deep? and what kind (sand, gravel)? I have gravel/ pebbles just smoother rocked that's a little bigger then normal fish gravel from the pet store
    How often do you change the water and how much? Once every 2 weeks 20-30%
    How many fish in the tank and their size? I have 10 fish in all 6 are smaller then 3 inches the other 4 are about 5-8inches long
    Do you use water conditioner(if so, what kind)? No
    What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day
    Is there any new fish/plant added to the tank? if so how long is the quarantine period? Added 3 new fish a few weeks ago
    Is there any medications added to the tank? Just put in all in one medicine takes care of bacterial and fungus and everything else (suposally)
    Describe the problems you are seeing: example grains of salt on body, bloddy streaks, frayed fins, fungus, staying at bottom, not eating, etc?

I just received a three large gold fish about 6-8 inches long and very fat they came from a lady that didn't want them anymore and I think they are over 3 years old. Anyway in the set of fancy goldfish I got a black moor with was the largest of the 3 (they used to be in a 30 gal tank before I got them). They all seemed to be doing great but a few weeks in the black moors tail looked shredded I will post pictures of before and after so far no other fish have shredded tails.

2. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

Fish tail now

Attached Files:

3. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

fish tail before

Attached Files:

4. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

Medicine

Attached Files:

5. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

Please let me know what you think it is and if the fish will be ok

6. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

You have 10 fish in a 75 gallon tank and change only 20-30% of the water every two weeks. You have too many fish and change way too little water. You have poor water quality, and this can cause fin deterioration. The fish needs clean water rather than medicine.

You should change 50% of your water twice a week or 90% weekly with this fish load. Since we don't know anything about the water chemistry of your tank and tap water, a large water change now might shock the fish. Start by changing 20 gallons of water daily for a week, then you can switch to the 50% twice a week or 90% weekly schedule.

You need to get your water tested (fish stores will do it) for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Please report the results. You also should get a test kit so you can test the water yourself.

CaliGold likes this.
  7. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

I have well water and filled my 75 gal tank with it but I do water changes with my rodi water. This tank has only been set up for a week and a half and after seeing the tail I did a 30% wc I will get u the test result when I go home tonight I have a test kit

8. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Even if you're using well water and ro water, the water quality deteriorates very quickly due to the number of fish pooping and swimming in the water. It has nothing to do with how pristine the water is when you add it to the tank.

I have 2 small fantails in a 20 gallon, and in a week my nitrates go up to 10 ppm, so I do 90% water changes every week to remove that. Now imagine if my tank was severely overstocked. I'd probably reach 10 ppm of nitrates in 2-3 days! By removing only small amounts of water during a water change, you're only removing a small amount of the toxins and waste that goldfish produce just by living. Large, frequent water changes, especially if you're overstocked (general rule of thumb around here is 20 gallons for the first goldie, 10 for each one after that) are super important. You'll notice by my previous statements that I am technically overstocked as well, but I test my parameters frequently and do large water changes at the first sign of trouble (or well before that, usually). You can overstock a tank, but you have to realize how it will affect your fish's water conditions and work to counteract any negative influences.

Shakaho's advice is solid, you definitely don't want to shock the fish now that they may be acclimated to those conditions, but you definitely want to improve. I would agree that you should have your water tested (or get a liquid test kit from API and test it regularly yourself), and do more frequent water changes for the time being. More than likely the water quality is the source of the shredded tail in your goldfish. Unless the other fish are becoming more aggressive due to being cramped, and nipping his fins.

Good luck, and hopefully a healthy fish recovery! :)

9. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

Thank you for the great advice! I will be sure to go home to test and do a water change. I do have s few questions: if I take my 4 comets out will the tank not be over stocked ? 2 comets r under an inch and 2 are about 3 inches. Also I've been trying to see if rodi water is good for goldfish but haven't really come accross any real answers is it ok to use ? If so how much ? Can all the water be rodi water ?

10. shakaho

Most people say not to use RO water for goldfish or use it only mixed with water that has minerals. Do you have RO water for drinking because the well water doesn't taste good? Or some other reason?

11. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

I have it because I also have a 220 Gal salt tank. I thought it would help the water quality of my goldfish tank if I mixed it with my well water. is that better or should I just go back to my well water ?

12. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

If it does end up not being the water quality not that I don't believe u guys cause I'm sure ur right but just in case i need to get medication in the future what is the best medication for this ?

13. shakaho

Gotcha. For a saltwater tank, you want no minerals in the water since you add a balanced salt mixture to the water and don't want to "unbalance it." Well water has minerals as well, and these have functions, such as stabilizing pH. If you use RO water, there are products like this to restore minerals. It seems more sensible to me to just use the well water.

Best medication after clean water -- probably salt.

14. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

Nitrates-40ppm
    Ph- 7.8-8.0
    Ammonia - 0.25ppm
    Nitrite-1.0-2.0
    This was the drop test kit

15. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

OMG HELP my little black moors eye is piping out now I just noticed it when doing a water change it wasn't like that yesterday now it's swollen and white !

Attached Files:

16. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

Poping *

17. shakaho

The pH is fine. Would you please check the pH of the tap water? We want to be sure the pH of the tank and tap don't differ enough to shock the fish during a water change.

You don't have enough biofiltration. This may be the result of adding three large fish recently. How often do you clean your filters, and how do you clean them? Both over and under cleaning filters can lead to loss of biofiltration. Do you regularly vacuum the bottom of the tank?

The ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all need lowering, ammonia and nitrite to zero and nitrate to under 20 ppm. A 50% water change should bring the ammonia and nitrate down (at least temporarily), but fish keep on producing ammonia. You can protect your fish from the harmful effects of nitrite by adding a little salt (pure NaCl) to the water. One teaspoon per 10 gallons is more than enough.

Whenever you have non-zero levels of ammonia/nitrite in your tank, you should reduce feeding. Ammonia produced by fish comes from protein in fish food.

chocky and CaliGold like this.
  18. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

I just put I new filter pads cause the old ones were so dirty it wouldn't filter out. Is that the cause of this ? I don't hardly ever vacuum the rocks but this is a new set up and I got the rocks and tank off craigslist and I rinsed all the rocks before putting them back in the tank. I just did a 70% water change.
    Ph- 7.4
    Nitrate- 20-40
    Ammonia - .25
    Nitrite - .25

19. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

Ph of well water is also 7.4

20. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Agree with two facts:

1- overstocked. Water quality will go down fast.
    2- Even if not over stocked, you need more frequent or larger water changes.

Combine both problems = fish will die soon.

Take at least two fish somewhere else and change more water per week.