Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Black more with shredded tail

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Maile1007, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

Well now that I'm in this problem how do I save my fish

2. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

One solution = bigger tank + more water changes.

Problem solved.

Second solution = give away some of your least favorite fish.

3. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

You got a nice improvement there. Do a 50% change tomorrow, if possible.

I would love to outlaw the word "overstocked." People give (useful to beginners) rules about how much water you need per fish, or (much worse) how many inches of fish you can put in a certain volume of water. What matters, however, is the bioload of fish -- how much waste the fish produce -- which depends primarily on both the size and number of fish. Your problem started with adding three large fish, which greatly increased your bioload, possibly doubling it. If you remove what may be your 4 smallest fish -- in terms of total mass -- you won't decrease the bioload much at all. If you removed the three large fish to another tank, it would make a huge difference in the bioload, but you would have three large fish in an uncycled tank.

In the short run, I believe your best action would be increased water changes and another large filter in the current tank. Once the tank/filters have fully cycled, you could move some fish to another tank along with a cycled filter.

TwistedNerve, CaliGold and chocky like this.
  4. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

@shakaho, you're right, "overstocked" may not be the ideal word for a heavy bioload. As I mentioned earlier, my tank would be considered on the small side for my water babies, but since I know this and maintain great water parameters, I wouldn't consider it "overstocked''. It definitely carries a negative connotation. I'll try to use "heavy bioload" in future as well. :)

@Maile1007, I think shakaho's plan to do increased water changes and add a filter to cycle for another tank is great. I have yet to see increased water changes be a poor strategy, in any case.

5. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

I will defiantly increase wc and do one today. I don't have another tank on hand that I can put the 3 larger goldfish in so that's not really an option right now. Since I can't do that and obviously want my fish to be healthy how many water changes should I do a week so I can keep up with the bio load. And I did clean the rocks yesterday should I continue to clean them at every water change I do when they r sick? Also since they r sick right now should I do a water change everyday? Do u think the fish will be ok or will they die?

6. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

Idk if this has anything to do with anything but a few days ago I was cleaning the glass and all one the inside of the tank was what looked like little white algea specks. They were on the glass some of my drift wood and even my snail it moved with the water and made the glass look cloudy cause it was covering the tank. I whipped them off but they keep coming back any idea what it is ?

7. Faebinder

Shakaho's advise is solid IMO. I use
    1- More filtration (like adding a second filter or bigger filter). That way ammonia and nitrites dont last long at all in the tank.
    2- A trickle waterchange system (so you dont keep having to do it frequent)
    3- Consider a UV filter to help keep infections down.
    Or you could just do frequent water chanes as others suggested.

Your tank is destinied for algae with a heavy load. Not a big deal.

8. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

What filter would u suggest ?

9. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

Also do u think my fish will live through this?

10. Faebinder

Not the expert in tanks filters. I think they will though if u do frequent changes.

11. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

A filter that has a gph that is 10 times the amount of water in the tank and holds plenty of media.

12. Faebinder

You can combine HOB filters for twice the filtration of your tank... So even though you don't have the tank the size u need, you filter it like the load of a tank twice the size.

13. shakaho

Maile, I think you will do well with your fish and soon have a healthy tank. Would you please test the water before your next water change and report the results. This will show how well your cycle bacteria are recovering. You need to continue the very frequent water changes until you have zero ammonia and nitrite before a water change.

I'd like you to set up a hospital tank(s) for the two moors. You don't need an aquarium. Plastic storage totes work very well. You want a volume of about 10 gallons. I like the shallow ones like this or this, but you can use others. Then we will be able isolate these fish and treat them if needed. You can get by with one tank, but two will make it easier to do maintenance.

14. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

Well so far looks like my big Moore is doing better and the tail stopped shredding. The little ones eye was a big white blob then a layer of white came off and it looked like his lens came off and now I can see his pupil so idk what Is going on with him if he is better or worse. I have been doing water changes at least 50% every day I didn't test my water before I did them tho I keep forgetting so I'm going to try and do that tomorrow. Do u guys think the tail will grow back on its own? And will the eye heal Ik he won't be able to use it but will it heal up?

15. shakaho

The tail should grow back. I don't know about the eye. Please post a picture showing how it looks now.

16. Maile1007

Maile1007 Member

This is what it looks like now kinda like his eye exploded

Attached Files: