Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Blind butterfly telescope

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by Breann Thurman, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a completely blind fish. I have a butterfly telescope, Her name is Midna. I have had her for over a year and when I got her shes seemed normal but was having problems finding food. I noticed that I could almost look completely through her pupils. Like it wasnt solid black like a normal fish so I thought maybe she was blind. The only visual stimulation she reacted to was me turning the tank lights on and off. Now she no longer reacts to even that. Shes as healthy as can be but spends most of her time around one spot. She still has trouble finding food but she gets around. Can a goldfish that is partially blind go totally blind? If so any advice on how to make their life as good as possible?

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

butterfly fish get this pearling feature to their eyes that is similar to cataracts in a person. Just make sure the fish is receiving enough food and is not being picked on, they can live normal healthy lives

3. Breann Thurman

Once she's able to actually find food she's fine. I was thinking about taking the hard decor out of the tank( I'm currently not using live plants as they previously turned them into a salad) and swapping to more softer decor so when she swims into things it won't hurt her eyes.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Yes that would be a great idea. it will provide more swimming area for the fish. i would go with those silk plants that out there, very soft and cannot injure the fish

5. Breann Thurman

I noticed she does have that pearling cataract. Sometimes there is like a actual white pearl like thing in her eye. It comes and goes.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

6. TobiDaDog

TobiDaDog New Member

I can't say that I've had any experience with a totally blind fish, but definitely with a half blind one. One of my two year old orandas developed a pearl in one of his eyes and lost his vision in it entirely. I've had to 'babyproof' the tank because he bumbles into things badly if he can't see them from his blind side.

He's so funny when he's begging for food though! As long as the sighted eye is on you, he's frantic, waggling against the glass. But the second he waggles too hard and turns his face to the blind side, the begging turns off like a switch because he can't see you anymore. He'll drift back around, spot you again, and the begging instantly starts up again!