Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Bright lighting on tank

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by Aquayne, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Aquayne

Aquayne Active Member

I've been in various parts of this hobby for over 30 years. One thing that comes up frequently is the positive impact sunlight has on most fish. It brightens their color, provides surface algae for grazing and maintains water parameters better than sun deprived systems. I've noticed that the serious breeders in Thailand use outdoor tubs that are lightly shaded. I bread Betta splendens a few years ago and tried to replicate their sunny methods by mounting 60watts of LED's over the tub. The Betta grew wonderfully. I later put a Ranchu in the tub and actually forgot about him for over a month. I finally went to check on the tub ,expecting to find only remains of the fish. It had thrived, and taken on a strong swimming manner and nice dark red/orange color. The tub has a large sponge filter and an airstone. The sides of the tub are covered in a smooth green paper like coating that can be pealed off in sheets.

Lou likes this.
  2. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

I agree. The fish in my pond have vibrant color. I move some of them indoors in late November. By the time they go out again to the pond in late May, their color is not as vibrant as the ones remaining in the pond even though I use daylight bulbs over the tubs.

60 Watts of LED is a lot of light.

For those in midwest, Menads has an excellent sale on two 48" LED daylight (5000K) tubes that can be used in any of the 48" florescent fixtures. I bought 4 packs yesterday and have installed some and they are excellent.

Each tube uses 20 W of electricity (compared to 34W or 40W for the T8 or T12 tubes) and I found the LEDs to be brighter.
    http://www.menards.com/main/p-1444424041579-c-7482.htm?tid=-4050345727355849300.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    Brabant and Scifisarah like this.
  3. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

4. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

5. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Aboslutely 100% same experience so far. The fish I bring in are not as colorful after a while.

6. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

These are terrific bulbs because they also work without ballast. I just did a test by using a simple cord cut off from a junk device. All I did was connect hot (black) to one pin and then neutral (white) to another in on the other end. Let there be right!

I have several 4' hood twin tube lights (from saltwater days) that use starters. Now I am going to rip it apart, throw away the ballasts and starters (there are two pairs in each light), and convert them to LED.

7. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

I thank algae is also an important factor. My small pond has a lot of string algae growing in the summer but my big pond never had any. Last year, I caught three koi from the big pond and put them into the small pond. After a couple months, the red color on one of the koi became so vibrant. His siblings in the big pond still have that same dull red color.

8. Aquayne

Aquayne Active Member

My lights are from E-bay. they are two cool white spot lights focused on a half barrel sized tub. I grew water hyacinth in it until the fish ate the roots. I still have several betta in the barrel with him too. Am hoping to get some decent breeding stock so I can try Ranchu breeding. Laying eggs once per year is difficult, my angelfish hatchery (15 years ago) produced 600 young per month. Can they breed more frequently? I know they inject koi with pituitary hormones to induce milt and egg production. (no I have no intention of doing it, just wondering).

9. Aquayne

Aquayne Active Member

I have been looking at led ribbon lights. I wonder if I could make a freestanding moving media filter wrapped in lights how would it do? I keep coming back to how bacteria filters work and realize how wrong headed they are. They just convert bad chemicals to less bad chemicals rather than locking them up. I keep thinking about my barrel and how the algae that keeps the water clean is eaten by the fish and continues the cycle but it does not seem to build up. Where does the ammonia go? It is initially taken up into the mass of the algae. The algae is then eaten and again enters the water as ammonia to be taken up and eaten. I don't harvest the algae to remove anything form the system. I do occasionally vacuum the bottom t remove mulm but it is at best monthly. How is the input from the fish food being exited from the system? Same question for a pond. I predict that the moving bed media will become colonized by algae. It will be abraded off and enter the water column over time and be eaten by fish. The most likely problem will be yellow water from the abraded algae.

10. Aquayne

Aquayne Active Member

I developed a freestanding external fluidized filter I will share with the forum. It uses pvc fittings and a 2 liter or 2.75 liter bottle. The version I will share does not inject air and would be less effective but the addition of a venture would solve the problem. For the Moving Algae media bed version I want a slower flow so no venture will be use.

It is based on the fact that 1" PVC threaded fittings fit common caps for drink bottles with a little epoxy to seal any leaks. I first made it for a fluidized sand bed filter design I came up with in the 80's. I abandoned it because the sand eventually eroded away at the sides of the plastic bottles. Another problem was that if the power was interrupted the sand settled into concrete, too dense for the pump to restart the flow without help. A stronger pump just blew the sand out of the bottle.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016