Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

BT Black Moor Grooming

Discussion in 'Goldfish Grooming' started by octoari, Nov 26, 2015.

1. octoari

octoari Active Member

Just wanted to share some pics/videos of the juvenile broad tail black moor I picked up from the Richmond AGA show recently. These are from Amy S and I split a group at auction from CincyRanchu. It was a lot of fun to meet more people and see so many amazing fish.

I'm thinking grooming will be the best place to share the progress thus far and also get input from more experienced goldfish folks. They're so small that none of them have even developed telescope eyes yet!

Right now there are 5 in a 40g breeder that is about 2/3rd full with 2 sponge filters. It's 2/3rds full because we realized above that it their tails began to look a bit crushed under the water pressure. Our hope is that as they get bigger we can slowly add more water. In the meantime that means doing ~90% water changes every 2-3 days and diligently removing as much food/fish waste as we can each day. We also will be spreading them out to more tanks so as they're bigger they do not become overstocked.

Right now they're getting some frozen brine shrimp once a day and soilent green 2-3 times a day. They also can glean some duckweed from the surface. They are now big enough to eat (thawed) frozen bloodworms so they'll get a bit of that as well. They were too small to successfully eat the bloodworms just 12 days ago!

So any advice would be helpful. I know several people on the forum have some of Amy S's spawn of their own. I would love to hear more from those people and anyone else with experience with telescopes.

Here's a video I took on November 22nd of their brine shrimp breakfast. My hope is to periodically update with more pictures and/or videos.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    afnaveils likes this.
  2. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Love the video..

3. harzan

harzan Professional Breeder

Thanks for the share. Nice looking form. Amy S or Cincy brought these to the auction to sell? Would be black here with all my sun.

4. octoari

octoari Active Member

Oops! Meant to say I split them with Cincy! Not from. Amy S sent them to the AGA show for the auction.

harzan likes this.
  5. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

They are looking great! Keep up the good work

6. octoari

octoari Active Member

And a new video 2 months later. They are plumping up a lot and are mostly starting to grow out their eyes. Some are not as black but I'm not sure if that's because of the fact that they had less consistent light for a few weeks as we were adjusting from moving. We shall see.
    We also have some fin curling which undoubtedly is part of our learning curve as new fish enthusiasts.

Jin, pritish1 and afnaveils like this.
  7. Amy S

Amy S Professional Breeder

These are looking just wonderful. The fin curling is very common on the pecs of all vt fish. I wish my line was darker...but we arre learning in the U S what ir takes to make good black color......
    Thank you so much for posting

TwistedNerve and CaliGold like this.
  8. Iaidoka

Iaidoka Well-Known Member

Beautiful and graceful fish.

9. octoari

octoari Active Member

[​IMG]

Another update with comparison pics. Posted it in another thread but thought putting it here for further continuity and archiving would be good.

CaliGold likes this.
  10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

amazing fish can you describe your feeding/grooming activity

11. octoari

octoari Active Member

So as we've unfortunately realized as time has gone on and they've gotten bigger and easier to critique (plus a few other more experienced breeders have pointed out), we may have overdone it on protein thus giving them more of a ryukin/demekin-esque hump than we were truly going for. Two of them have it and two of them don't to different degrees. A bit too much newbie enthusiasm and how much they love eating blood worms and brine shrimp.

Lately, and thus why you see such a huge difference in tail size between January and February is that we started focusing more on carbs and less on protein. Now we're going to cool them off slightly to perhaps focus less on body development. Goldfish are so moldable. It's part of the fun but definitely makes things a bit more difficult.

12. newTosakin

newTosakin Active Member

So is it possible to reverse some of the features you don't like, like the hump, or do the fish grow into the other features you are supporting - and the hump just doesn't get any bigger. The grooming component seems very important.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  13. Jin

Jin Active Member

Excellent grooming, octoari. I love the high humps on these guys. It makes them look healthy, vibrant, and powerful. Providing them with unprocessed food is the best way to bring out their highest potential and build healthy bone/muscle structure.

Ununique likes this.
  14. octoari

octoari Active Member

Yeah I think these guys could use a lil less of a hump but you're right. I think one reason it took so long for me to personally see the hump is because I like it aesthetically. I just would probably prefer it on a different set of fish. So gonna lean off the blood worms/brine shrimp and do some more plant based foods and daphnia. See how that goes.
    Maybe I should get my hands on some demekins/ryukins for real and unleash my 'natural tendencies' on them and give them super duper humps.

15. octoari

octoari Active Member

I'll have to get back to you on that with further research and experience. Just don't want to continue them down the path of further sloping with what I've been doing thus far. Whether it will reverse it altogether, my inclination is no but I am not really sure.

16. Ranchutoo

Ranchutoo Active Member

Nice work, Octoari! I think you've got the eye down now for balance and style, refinement and harmony in shaping the goldfish. Aesthetically, I find that the muscularity of the hump distracts from the clean, fluid lines that makes a veiltail (or broadtail) a veiltail. The hump might work on a short-tail, which is more gnomish to my mind. Despite its googly eyes, the Broadtail moor remains an elegant fish to my mind ~ sort of a nerdy fish dressed for a black-tie affair: a little awkward, but dressed to the nines. Then there's the science, which is knowing that you affect the outcome through nutrition, light, temperature, water chemistry, water flow (to thicken the peduncle), and so. So there's the challenge: grooming the goldfish to enliven what you imagine as the perfect fish, brought to life through the magic of science. I can see now that you're going to be some tough competition at the goldfish shows! :)

CaliGold and Amy S like this.
  17. Rusuna

Rusuna Well-Known Member

Which food are you using for a high carb low protein diet?

18. octoari

octoari Active Member

homemade gel food (gonna try a few things haven't settled on anything yet), repashy super green. Essentially more greens and less fish and bugs.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

go with repashy soilent green. I know you want to cut back on the protein but the fish still need some. Super green does not have any protein.

20. octoari

octoari Active Member

Well super green has 35% protein still as spirulina has naturally occurring protein and they add pea and rice protein.
    But yeah we have the soilent green and that's largely what they've been eating now as their baseline diet. Tbh they were already not eating frozen bw/bs for about a month December-ish in the shuffle of moving and all that with almost exclusively eating soilent green. So they'll get some of that still sometimes but we're gonna vary them up more with other things. Scouring kens for other items too. Herbivore drops are 5% less than super green but will be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk