Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Can anybody be sure of their gender?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by mjfromga, Jan 18, 2016.

1. mjfromga

mjfromga Well-Known Member

So I've been trying SO HARD to determine for a FACT their genders, have had them since October. Named them Slate and Rhonda randomly. I'm almost positive Slate is male, but not sure. With Rhonda I'm way less certain. Slate has always chased Rhonda, even when they were still teensy tiny. Rhonda rarely chases back and when he (or she?) tries, Slate doesn't flee. Can anybody tell?

TwistedNerve and Lukass like this.
  2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I thought I saw some rudimentary stars on Slate's pectoral fins. Rhonda appears to be a female. I know you took your plants out but may be place on back in the tank for awhile and see if you get some eggs.

mjfromga likes this.
  3. mjfromga

mjfromga Well-Known Member

Thanks. Still not sure though! I guess I'll probably not be sure until they are adults. Slate has done that chasing thing ever since I got them. They will have some live plants soon and Slate is already healing from a fin tear caused by the artificial plants. We shall see. Looked closely at Slate (I mean pressed to the glass closely) and couldn't see any stars at all. Pretty sure Slate is male, but who knows?

4. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

What will you call slate if he turns out to be a female? Slatara?

5. Ununique

Ununique Well-Known Member

Rhonda is probably a bit too young to tell, and even if not she is very small.
    Slate is probably highly likely to be male, if only for the breeding behavior that we see in the video. But again, without the stars it could just be early adulthood, they both seem young due to their size. While I've seen various males chase both male and females, I can't think of a time when I've seen this behavior from anything but a male fish.

It can be very tricky, I had a very large male (6"+) that i thought was female because other male would chase him around and he showed none of the obvious indications. And then finally he developed tubercles and later went on to spawn for me.
    The vent shapes are the best determiner in my opinion, but until they are larger adults its not quite obvious.