Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Cheap Oranda

Discussion in 'Goldfish Judging' started by Silverphish, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Silverphish

Silverphish Active Member

Got this guy a month or so ago from petsmart. Tag on tank said that he is an oranda (was in a tank with a bunch of white with red heads). If he truly is an oranda, will it cause any growth or health issues if I don't try to grow his wen? There seems to be a lot that goes into 'grooming' specific characteristics, and he's (or she's) in a tank with other fantail / ryukin mutts. It's not important to me if he gets a big head or not, as long as he's healthy.

upload_2015-8-15_22-11-20.jpeg

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

if you practice large weekly water ,changes, several small feedings of high quality foods, keep low stocking levels, and maintain excellent water conditions, that is all of the grooming you need to do to bring out the potential in your fish. However being a petsmart of fish which means questionable origins, the fish will probably not be a show fish but that should not deter your fish husbandry. He looks very healthy with the potential of being a nice fish regardless of his type.

danarea likes this.
  3. Silverphish

I do twice a week vacuuming of the bottom, in the process I change around 5 - 15 gal depending on how much it needs it, and once a month do 100 % water change and rinse the sludge out of my bio-media. All of my parameters are perfect, except kH and gH which are a little low (53.7 and 107.4 respectively), using API master kit and Prime. They eat Spectrum sinking pellets, algae sheets, very occasionally blood worms, and I just ordered Repashy Soilent green. They eat three times a day and only what they can finish in about 1 min. There are three fancy's, each between an inch and an inch and a half long (including tail) in a 40 gal breeder.

I just wanted to make sure that as a breed, oranda's do not require a high protein diet to be healthy, and that he will not become ill on a regular diet without all the extra invertebrates.

4. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

No, Orandas can eat the same food as the other fish and be perfectly healthy. This fish will either grow a wen or not depending on it's genetics, there is not much you can do to stop it.

Goldie^HawnSolo and danarea like this.
  5. alorindanya12

alorindanya12 Active Member

It's been a few months, any update on the wen growth on your fish Silverphish? I too have an Oranda and was wondering the same things. I have had my Lucky since end of September and seen some wen growth on her, but the growth has seemed to have stalled.

6. Silverphish

This one never developed anything. I guess she's not actually an oranda. I recently got a real oranda and it does have a small wen. That one is still in QT. her pic is in the thread "will I stay bronze" for comparison if you want .

7. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Mine looked like that too, 2 years later I had to trim the wen because it affected it's ability to swim and find food.

Silverphish likes this.