Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Cheyenne Goldfish

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by Cheyenne B., Jun 13, 2017.

1. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Thank you. And approximately how large and how old were the fish when you noticed these issues? Also, when you say the fish had a swim bladder defect, you mean the malformation of the organ with nothing else related to it. What things did you notice when you necropsied the fish that would point to this?

2. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Well-Known Member

Some were just babies, less than a year old. Another was about two years old, but had had issues since birth. (Also the age of their death) All of them had issues since birth, but they continued to worsen as they aged and began putting on weight and size. And yes, I mean malformation of the swim bladder. I also never dissected them, I couldn't make myself do it. I'm in this hobby for fun, I don't really get into the nitty gritty, just don't have time.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  3. calicomj

Okay since you said malformation I assumed you had confirmed this. You just assumed this based on the symptoms linked with the ages of the fish. You say since birth, you mean you spawned these fish? A lot of fish in each spawn will have swim bladder issues and need to be culled.

I have one small Ryukin that I assume is female since her vent looked eggy and a boy fish was MOOSHING her. I've seen her HEAD STAND mildly a few times. She does not float though. Have you ever had this issue?

orangecrush likes this.
  4. Cheyenne B.

I didn't spawn these myself, I don't have the room, wish I did. I purchased them as babies and raised them. It was a very minor issue at first, until they began getting larger. The oranda I have is much older and is doing way better than the Ryukin's ever did. I am hopeful for her living a long life. It's funny you mention the male, because she was being harassed by one in her original tank. I noticed her symptoms were worse and ended up moving her into a tank with my butterfly telescopes, who are very laid back. Her instances have lessened and she's much more active there.

5. calicomj

Thanks so much for telling me your experiences. Just one more question, what depth did you raise the Ryukin babies in?

6. Cheyenne B.

It's been a while, but I believe it was 6-8 inches. And you're welcome :)

orangecrush and calicomj like this.
  7. calicomj

Sad to see that the Ryukins didn't work out for you. Hopefully you'll try them again someday. They're sooooo cute. I couldn't keep goldfish if I couldn't keep Ryukins. Well I COULD but I doubt I would want to.

8. Cheyenne B.

Oh, I do have 2 Ryukin's, both female and as healthy as can be :)

9. calicomj

Oh yay! Most of my Ryukins are male. Just confirmed another male today. I THINK one little one I recently got is female but not sure. I end up with soooo many males.

10. Cheyenne B.

joe likes this.
  11. calicomj

Watched the video. There was DEFINITELY zero reason to put that fish down. She wasn't that bad. Her scales hadn't even raised. Glad you didn't listen to those people.

Glad it all worked out. I had a true disaster earlier this year which at the end resulted in the deaths of 8 fish. Like you said, it happens. Learn from the issues and move on. Happy all is well.

12. Cheyenne B.

joe likes this.
  13. Cheyenne B.

Just some things that have been going on in the fish room. :)

calicomj and joe like this.
  14. Cheyenne B.

Here was the video from last week! I realized I forgot to post here. Also, if anyone has any topics you think I should cover for this weeks video, please feel free to leave them below!

joe likes this.
  15. Cheyenne B.

Finally! A Ranchu!

calico3 and joe like this.
  16. calicomj

He is adorable. The two I've gotten have both died within days. I can't seem to keep Ranchu. Good luck with yours.

Cheyenne B. likes this.
  17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

That fish has so much potential, love the blue and the wen looks like it is coming in very nice

Cheyenne B. likes this.
  18. Cheyenne B.

IMG_0133.JPG

Hey, guys! There is a Christmas Giveaway going on right now on my Instagram. Just thought I'd share. :)

19. calicomj

That's a pretty shirt. Love the design.

Cheyenne B. likes this.
  20. Cheyenne B.

Thank you :)