Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Chinese/Japanese Traditional Ponds, in Winter?

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by Tosai-chan.Smith, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Tosai-chan.Smith

Tosai-chan.Smith New Member

Hey all,
    I'm returning to the hobby. I had them for years as a kid and adored them! I always dreamed of getting a fancy fish from Dandy Orandas, but I couldn't afford them. I'm passionate about Ranchu and other dorsal finless fish. Growing up in Hawaii we had a nice stock of lionheads--but here in Portland I honestly never seem them around in pet stores.
    TL;DR

I currently don't have any more goldfish. I'm tentatively researching my way back into the hobby. I have a lot of stuff to learn. Back home our water has hardly any chlorination or fluoride, so I got away with no water testing. I'm really interested in this pond thread is where I can get more information on the traditional way of keeping goldfish in shallow ponds. I know Japan and China have moderate winters, probably similar to my own climate (zone 6), but their water was so shallow I can't imagine how these fish survived. My main goal would be to have a large stock tank as a decorative pond for less than awesome fry, and for pets. Then several small ponds for hobby breeding, and a tank inside. This is the long game... Are there any online resources about a yearly seasonal cycle with traditional ponds?

Haranda likes this.
  2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Your questions are kind of broad, I would first ask you where do you want to start? with a tank, deccorative stock pond, pond, etc. Regardless of whether there is a little or none chloramines added to your water you should still be testing on a consistent basis for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. Welcome back to the hobby

3. Tosai-chan.Smith

Tosai-chan.Smith New Member

I'm more interested in what the parameters are for wintering goldfish in ponds. I don't see traditional goldfish farms with much aeration or filtration. Is there a point when a planted pond with water changes is enough without filtration? When is it time to pull them inside? I know that that might be determined by depth, but it's been my observation that ranchu especially are kept in very shallow water. I also have a basement that is not heated but probably stays around 40 in the winter. Would that be warm enough as an emergency space for outdoor fish?

4. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

We need to know more information regarding planted pond without filtration. I have regular pond 4'x4' with 10 inches of water in it. No plant, no filtration at all. I only put air stone in it with a lot of 100% water change. Usually I have 4-5 fish (size- 5") in each pond, feed heavily and do water change at 4th or 5th day. Your mileage my vary depend of water volume, how much you feed, how many fish you have.

All my fish stay in the garage during winter and as long as the temperature doesn't reach below 32F, I am ok.

:)

5. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

During winter, you don't need to feed your fish at all. So ammonia level should be at minimum.