Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Chocolate Moor going gray?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by calico3, Feb 19, 2017.

1. calico3

calico3 Well-Known Member

In one of my tanks I have 3 moors . One is a calico, one is a black moor and the other chocolate. All are eating and swimming fine and seem very healthy.
    He is my first chocolate and he is getting gray between his eyes.
    In case this is fungus, I have treated the whole tank with Pimafix. None of the others have this gray area.
    1. Is chocolate a stable colour for a goldfish . Is he changing colours or perhaps I need to increase the time I have my lights on.
    I do not hope that he will turn gray overtime. He is a attractive colour now.
    2. Is this more likely a fungus infection? Should he be in a GT tank or is he okay where he is.
    3. If fungus do I treat the whole tank? / I assume so.
    4. I am using PIMAFIX , is this the best treatment?

thanks all.

I eventually wish to breed some of my moors, and will start another thread about using different colours.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

what is your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph levels
    what type of water test kit do you use
    how large is tank and how of often and how much do you change the water
    what type of water conditioner do you use
    have you added any new fish, or other objects in the tank prior to the color change
    what do you feed your fish and how often do you feed your fish
    what type of filter do you have
    how often do you clean your filter
    1) chocolate is a stable color some fish go from being darker to lighter however
    2) fungus looks "cottony" in nature and is usually the result of secondary infection or untreated wound (take a picture of the fish)
    3) If you are not sure what you are dealing with it could not hurt to quarantine him, it is easier to observe in smaller tank
    4) fungus usually does not attack the whole tank, I would treat the individual fish in quarantine tank
    5) not a big fan of those melafix, pimafix medications in imp, these are more preventative measures rather than actual medications

3. nolaveils

nolaveils Breeder

Chocolate is similar to the black in moors, not always stable. Chocolates can turn change to orange, factors initiating this could be stress, water temp change, the amount of demelanizing genes in their genetic makeup. Any gray would not be associated with such a color change, more likely the reasons Joe mentioned.

4. calico3

Still using pimafix and have also removed all plants and will add salt today as large water change done. " Chocky" the moor is showing no symptoms of being unwell.He also has gray areas on the end of his tail fins.We have had overcast and bad weather lately and I don't leave lights on during the day. Could this be a type of fading because of low light . I will continue to monitor and at the first signs of any change he will be moved to QT. Sometimes I wonder if I am over reacting.

5. calico3

Hi All: Spoke to Andrew from " The Fish Sempai" my fish is a chocolate lavender mix.He is okay and seeing blue/gray on him is normal. Perhaps he will need a name change. Time will tell. Maybe "GreyBoy"

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

ok that makes sense now

7. GfFan

GfFan Active Member

I just saw this thread and wondered if it was really a chocolate/lavendar. I got a few from Dandy Orandas earlier this year and they are really cool little fish.

8. calico3

Thats what I was told. He was truly chocolate when he arrived about mid Nov last year. Now he has grey on the end of some fins , between his eyes and a slight grey tinge on his body that you notice when the tank lights are on. Love the blue on my calico's, however this is a very different look. Starting to like it more now that I don't attribute it to an illness or fungus.
    **** Anyone whom received a chocolate among your moors from Andrew last fall.Don't worry if you see some changes *****
    I think that Andrew receives his fish from one of Dandy Oranda's suppliers.

9. MGunnell1

MGunnell1 New Member

I have no idea of your question.

10. SallImSayin

SallImSayin ya Samaki

Some of my fish have changed color. My Black moor turned orange, then later turned white. My comet turned white, from being orange for years. Several years later, he's still white and in perfect health. The moor had a bronze belly, I should've been able to tell he wasn't going to stay Black, because of that little bit of color peaking through. I hope it's just a color change in yours. They were both one color for months or years before changing.