Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

cleaning my airstones

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by chocky, Oct 27, 2015.

1. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

I tried using a mixture of 25% Hydroclauric Acid mixed with water, soaked my airstones for a couple of hours.
    Gave them a light scrub under the tap and place them back in.

This is the acid i'm using: http://www.bunnings.com.au/-bondall-500ml-hydrochloric-acid-_p0960231
    i'm thinking maybe the mixture i used wasn't strong enough?

While they look a bit cleaner... they're not completely clean.

How do other people do it?

I was kinda hoping they'd turn back to white haha
    I'm using the Pentair white cube airstones

2. Ununique

Ununique Well-Known Member

If you want them white use Tide. :p

Actually bleach works.

3. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

I soak them in Hydrogen peroxide - they don't ever look like new again, but they work just as well.

chocky likes this.
  4. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

You may want to use a higher concentration than the 25%.

It may not be the best for the environment or your health (fume), but I found straight muriatic acid to be the best to clean airstones. It does not take much and the acid can be used over and over. Once you put the airstones in the acid, bubble will start right away and it only takes about a minute. Then you just rinse them off and saved the acid in a closed plastic container for the next time. Do it outside and turn your head away from the acid so the fume does not get into your lungs.

Find a container that is just a little biger than the airstones so it takes very little acid to submerge the stones.

I have some 12" Pentair (AES) airstones with the 1/2" male pipe threaded ends for over 10 years. Muriatic acid always restores them to like new condition. I do that every a couple of years but rotate the use of the airstones so I always have a few clean ones on hand.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015