Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Collecting/storing water?

Discussion in 'Advance Water Quality' started by rivyrofgold, Jul 10, 2014.

1. rivyrofgold

rivyrofgold goldfish student

Alright. Trying to work out some kinks before I begin the actual construction stage on my fish room. I have a this pond...
    :)panic: it is the overflow from my spring. The water we drink, and I use to do tank water changes currently.)
    I've actively tested it, and quality-wise, all is perfect. I would just probably want to filter/uv sterilize it before use? Maybe? Feel free to chip in. I, just worried about microbes/tiny critters/unpleasant bacterium.
    Anyway. It pretty much guarantees me thousands and thousands of gallons of available water to WC in my future fish room, but I'm not sure how I should go about it... Pump it into a holding tank and filter/sterilize before use? Throw a pump in it and go? Keep water in holding tanks/barrels and let it age? I'm really not sure the best route to take, and in order to purchase and set up all necessary supplies, I really would need a game plan!

Anybody?

2. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

What do you do to the water before you drink it? I suspect you can use it straight with some aeration.

3. rivyrofgold

To my knowledge, nothing. Probably just the little metal things in the end of the spigot traps big particles, and we drink the rest. I never thought of that. :ST: so, pump the stuff into a food-grade holding tank, and aerate it heavily? Lightly? Just keep it moving?

Ps, I already scored a couple 300 gallon holding tanks. Craigslist is a keepers BFF:exact:

4. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

In my 350 gallon tank I use a one foot airstone and can control the flow with a valve. If I'm in a hurry I can make it churn like a hot tub for nearly instant equilibrium to the atmosphere driving off any excess gasses. Pumping into them I a way that makes the water splash would likely be enough.

5. fantail1

fantail1 Professional Breeder

I was going to ask the same question David raised. If you drink it why are you not worried about the same critters etc?

Second question, why do you need to store it? Apart from adjusting the temperature, maybe, what else is behind the concern?

6. rivyrofgold

My concern was I would be physically pumping it from the reservoir pond instead of the spring so that I don't suck the spring dry doing water changes! I was concerned that the ecosystem if the pond might affect what is in the water after that step. But, I guess that is also a stable system with good water quality, so it shouldn't be a huge concern. It'd be a far cry better than treated water I presume. Or chlorinated water. But every concern I have, I sortof come crawling for advice. I want to do this right! :)