Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Combining 2 tanks into one

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Goldfish crazy, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Goldfish crazy

Goldfish crazy Member

i have 2 tanks one is 150g other is 90g- here's the issue the 90g has a small leak and needs to be fixed. Both tanks are established and one is all ranchus and lion heads the other is a mix of oranda, moor, and rykuin. Do you think I could put them all in the biggest tanks and do the repairs? I'm worried even though they should all get along and water perimeters are the same.

2. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

How heavily stocked are these two tanks? If you do not have many fish and your filtration is top notch, you may be able to do that.

However, if you do have many fish and the tanks are not over filtered, then you may run into issues. Depending on the tank and leak types, fixing leak usually is not instant (so might take days).

So tank setup, filtration, number and size of fish might be helpful to get more accurate advice.

"Get along" would be a lesser concern because most goldfish are very peaceful. They may chase or harass but there usually is no damage unless the fish are really mean.

A safer approach is to get a temporary container. I do not know if there is tractor supply in your place, they have the 40 gallon Tuff Stuff tub for $27. It is an extremely heavy duty tub and you can get one or two while fixing the leak. Move the tank water and all current filters to the tub(s). Then move the fish. You may add more air into the tub(s) temporarily as well. While in their temporary quarter, you may do more frequent water changes. You will find many uses of these tubs after this purpose. (They also have the 110 gallon version for $60 and that is an excellent small pond for goldfish. This size is even better for your tank size.)

What kind and where is the leak? Is it a glass or acrylic tank?

Tub link:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ucts-heavy-duty-oval-tank-40-gal?cm_vc=-10005

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    TwistedNerve likes this.
  3. Goldfish crazy

Goldfish crazy Member

Thanks for the reply. The 90g is glass (both tanks are) I have more than enough filtration as both tanks have 2 cascade 1500 canister filters and a fluval HOB as goldfish are messy and I don't take chances lol. Also they get 70 percent water change every 2 weeks. They also eat gel food or haikari. And putting them in a tub isn't a real option as I have 3 Great Danes that would drink them. My fear is since the 8 ranchu (juvenile as they're about 3" and less than a year old) all have been in 90g would they be ok with the fancies, moors, and rykuin? They are in the big tank and have all been in there for a year or more. Ages are from 1-4. My raunchu are my pride and joy but I have to fix the glass before it breaks.

4. Goldfish crazy

Goldfish crazy Member

The leaks are at the top and running down the side of the front- on both sides not dripping but I see water stains and "crust" the 90g has small ranchu (8) less than a year old and between 2-3 inches the big tank has 8 fish from my huge oranda (7") and the rest are all about same size or an inch bigger than the ranchu. Maybe my best bet is to buy another tank- ugh I didn't want to spend that but I'm reading on how to re seal the tank and it being so big if I don't deal it correctly I'll have a huge mess.