Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Commons, comets, and plants. Oh my!

Discussion in 'Goldfish VS Plant' started by Goldie818, May 8, 2015.

1. Goldie818

Goldie818 Member

Has anyone had any success with tiger lotus or any dwarf lotus being in a tank with common and comet goldfish? I am upgrading my 3 commons and 1 comet to a proper (finally) sized tank, and want to take a swing at low-med light live plants. I currently have an amazon sword which is doing wonderfully, and an anubias, as well as several thriving fake plastic plants. :))2 Surprisingly, the anubias's new growth is being nibbled on by one common in particular...the little poop...so I am concerned that a lotus will be shredded. What do you guys think? Any success with plants other than the usual? i.e. anubias, vals, swords, java, etc.

Thanks!;)

2. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

I have all fancies, but they are large. I use ruffle sword , anubias nana, both green and red tiger lotus ( start with large plants and plant several in the same spot...one or two may be sacrificial) water velvet and water hyacinth. My guys don't actually eat the plants, but they are avid sand sifters which can cause uprooting until a plant becomes established.

3. Goldie818

Goldie818 Member

I see! I hope to prevent uprooting by planting the plants in a diy planter, much like the diy 3d backgrounds and using large river rocks to hopefully protect the plants from being ripped out. I will also more than likely keep my thriving plastics in there with the live ones. I heard that this can slow some attempts to nibble everything, but again...who knows lol

4. MissCellany

MissCellany New Member

I have a comet with a jungle of vallisneria, he never eats or uproots it.