Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Confessions of a newbie....

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Faebinder, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Alright folks...

Post your mistakes that you made when you were a newbie... don't be shy... These are the ones you made long long ago perhaps when you got your first fish!

No judgment. Entertainment and Wisdom are the goals of this thread.

I'll start:

- Bought two plecos and tossed them in the pond with the goldfish. They died a month later a cold death in September. (I asked a petsmart guy whats a good fish to clean algae in a pond and that was the suggestion). RIP Plecos.

2. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Toss two kissing gouramis in a cold pond during the winter.

3. MewTwo

MewTwo Member

Got a cat, had a fish tank. Left tank lid off for ten minutes while I went outside. Did not end well...

Ann likes this.
  4. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Fish jumped out and came back hours later dried, buried him alive.

5. Joshua's golds

Joshua's golds Well-Known Member

Ok I just gave advise to someone in a post about their tank set up that reminded me of my worst mistake.... I bought a giant bubble bowl for a beta that would hold this beautiful Foo Dog statue from home good years ago... Little did I know the shit in the finish of the foo dog would leach into the water and kill my poor beta.... Fish safe only decor in fish tanks, I still have the Foo Dog it's gorgeous but pushed of the tank. Poor beta "Lo Mien" RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. thebbqguy

thebbqguy Active Member

It's been a long time ago at this point, but I made the mistake of reading the instructions on my filter and actually replaced the filter before it was finished cycling. Big mistake.

7. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

I kept a fantail in a 1 gallon for over a year

8. calico3

calico3 Well-Known Member

9. calico3

calico3 Well-Known Member

Hi Folks. I got involved with goldfish because of my brother. He got his ex-girlfriends aquarium as she was neglecting it and didn't want the work.It came with a large fantail and female BN pelco. When he upgraded the tank and said I could get my own fish I bought another fantail and gave away his BN pelco. I read a lot of posts saying they were dangerous to goldfish. He did not talk to me for days.
    He had an algae outbreak and I heard that wouldn't have happened if he still had his bushy nose.I bought him another and paid much more then the $2.50 I got for her.