Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Confused about goldfish breed

Discussion in 'Goldfish Breeds' started by Laura15, Nov 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Laura15

Laura15 Member

Hi! I recently brought home a goldfish (his name is Franklin :) ) that has been at my mother's for the past 6 years. He was originally won at a state fair and I was trying to figure out what breed of goldfish he is. Can anyone offer some help? Currently he is in a much too small 10 gallon tank, I am about to buy a 50 gallon tank and start the transition into a bigger space for him. Also, I wanted to buy one additional goldfish to add to his tank once he is in a bigger space. Is it ideal to keep like breeds together?
    Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

2. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

It looks like a Shubunkin to me.
    You should avoid "Fancy" varieties of goldfish to keep with him. (These include Fantails, Ranchu, Moors, & other rounded body types of goldfish)
    Another Shubunkin or a Comet (Common) would be good.

Laura15 likes this.
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

very nice shubunkin goldfish, this is a very popular single tail variety. If you are going to get another fish make sure it is a single tail like a commet or another shubunkin.

Laura15 likes this.
  4. Laura15

Laura15 Member

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies! I thought he may be shubunkin but wasn't sure. Also, I really appreciate the advice to stick with other shubunkins or comets.
    The pet store I was at earlier said once I set up the new 50 gallon tank to let it sit for a week, up to a month, before adding my fish to let the bacteria/environment be ready for a fish. With a shubunkin do you know if they are pretty resilient to new tanks/environments or should I be more cautious and try to wait a full month before adding?

5. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

They're pretty hardy fish
    i would keep the 10 gallon as a quarantine tank once you get your new fish. Quarantine it for about a month just to make sure it's not carrying any diseases etc. you wouldnt want your fish franklin to catch anything. (very nice fish btw)

Laura15 likes this.
  6. Laura15

Laura15 Member

Thanks for the info! That is a great idea, I have been nervous to introduce a new fish and I should definitely do a quarantine tank since everything is set up. Also, thank you both for the compliments to Franklin :) he has been on a long journey from starting out as a fair prize that was kept in a trash can in a bag.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

If you transfer the gravel from the 10 gallon and some of the filter material to the new tank, you will quickly establish the new tank with beneficial bacteria, however do as instructed by quarantining any new fish for at least one month. If you want to try something more exotic than a single tail you can go with a watkin or watonai. go to raingarden.us to see what these breeds look like

Laura15 likes this.
  8. Laura15

Laura15 Member

That is smart! I didn't think of the items in the tank bringing over bacteria. I will definitely quarantine new fish too. I really like the Watkin and Watonai, especially the yellow ones! Thanks for all the info :)