Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Constant Water Drip

Discussion in 'Water Maintainence' started by Faebinder, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

So I read this article.

I'm interested in constant water drip as I am getting lazier about water changes. I did not understand how the pond does not overflow if it is constantly getting a drip. The article almost suggests constant water replacement and not constant water changes.

Any ideas on what am I missing? Is there a way to develop an over flow so water is constantly being changed in small increments?

2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

You put an exit pipe at water level. I run a pipe from the exit pipe to the bottom of the pond so the overflow water comes from the bottom. I drip fresh water in from a container so I can dechlorinate the water before it goes into the pond.

3. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

But that's part of the setup of the pond? Setting up a pipe line under the pond, going through the liner... That would require me digging the pond out. I am also not sure how the exit pipe would spill water out unless the exit pipe is made to come out on a hill below the level of the pond.

Sounds work intensive.

4. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Interesting, however, this article states that you should change 10% of a ponds water volume weekly. I easily lose 10% per week to evaporation.(300g-ish pond, 10% =30g)
    Sometimes, (when its really windy) wind catching the waterfall, will blow it out of the pond, I may lose upwardly of 25%(75g) in a day or two due to this. Sometimes I turn off the waterfall, to save water.

5. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

The outlet isn't under the pond, it's at water level. If the top of the pond is at ground level, you might have to dig six inches or so to put in an outlet pipe.