Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Contaminated Water help!!

Discussion in 'Water Maintainence' started by Orandakeeper1, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Orandakeeper1

Orandakeeper1 Member

I believe my city water that I used for my last water change is contaminated.
    First, some basic info: I've kept goldfish for years, first in Tarrrant County, when i lived at home. I had a fifty-five gallon with a shebunkin and two orandas, all small. Everything went fine for a couple months, did regular water changes, checked water parameters, had double filtration, all fine. Then, one day, I found a fish dead, all others stressed. I treated with Melafix, tried to calm others down, but they just died. One by one, over the course of a day or so. Nothing visibly wrong with them, scales fine, no ich, no tail rot (know what all of these look like from owning a pond).
    I gave up, took a couple of pond fish, moved to Denton for college. Got a 40gallon tank, sold my 55 because of memories associated with it, and got an Oranda and had two of my pond commons. I did regular water changes, checked levels, treated water with API stress coat. no issues for two years.
    I've graduated from college, moved back to Tarrant County for work. Now exact same thing has happened, this morning. I've lived in back here for a few months, now I woke up this morning, one of my older commons was dead. Figured it was his time to go, he was a couple years old (I know, goldies live for 20 years, but he's a breeder). Then, a few hours later, the other common died. Neither had any visible signs of illness, scales vibrant, no damage to fins, etc. I went to my trusted fish store, and got a ryukin. My oranda gets VERY lonely and he was depressed without company. So, I got him a little friend. The tank I got him from was healthy, he was healthy. He and the Oranda sat together, then they started swimming together a little bit. thought my oranda was cheering up. Then, an hour later, my new little ryukin was dead. and the oranda was looking worse.

I got my oranda in distilled water, in a sick tank, treated him with melafix, ammo lock, etc. Now, he's upright, swimming a little.

Long story short, given the evidence, I'm pretty sure it's a contaminent in the water that is causing the issue.

My question is, what can I do? I can't afford to fill my 40 gallon with distilled water for every water change. How can I keep my little oranda alive (if I can save him from this?).

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

May be your water supplier added extra chlorine/chloramines, to fight outbreaks of disease-causing pathogen in water, they do this sometimes here. Contact you water supplier they will have extra information. I would simply age the water for 24 to 48hrs with extra aeration and prime(or any water conditioner which removes chlorines/chloramines) before using it in the aquarium

Do not use pure distilled water... Distilled water does not contain any electrolytes, so it would disturb a fish's osmotic balance and they do not have the minerals necessary to buffer pH.
    It will kill your fish. If you plan to use 100% RO water, then you have to remineralise RO water by using commercially available products.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  3. Orandakeeper1

Orandakeeper1 Member

RO? Never heard of it...I have him in distilled now How can I prime the water? It's been a week since the water change... Thank you for your help!

4. Orandakeeper1

Orandakeeper1 Member

He's doing ok this morning still upright swimming in the distilled water, theredness in his tail and fin has faded, going to try feeding him soon

5. Orandakeeper1

Orandakeeper1 Member

UPDATE he still won't eat not his favorite peas nor flake food still quite red all over (he's white so I can really tell) poor guy he's swimming ok though

6. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

If you have well water, get it tested. If you have municipal water you can get information from the water company as to what contaminants might be present. Go to your trusted fish store and ask about water problems in your location. They know about these things because people come in complaining about the sick/dead fish they just bought.

RO means reverse osmosis. You can get an RO system at Lowes or Home Depot (among other sources). Since this process removes minerals from the water, you can get products like this to replace them. If your water kills fish, you might want RO water for drinking as well.

If you want to try aging the water, get a large barrel put in an airstone. Use Prime water conditioner to remove chlorine/chloramine and to bind heavy metals. Add a big bag of activated carbon to bind organic contaminants.

You can easily reduce the effects of a contaminated or unstable water source by changing from large weekly water changes to 10% daily changes. An established aquarium has microbes that can process a lot of contaminants and this change schedule gives them a chance to keep the toxicity low.

7. Orandakeeper1

Orandakeeper1 Member

I will definitely go to smaller water changes, that is a great idea thank you! I also will look into setting up a barrel
    I'm going to double dose my tank with cleanser and let it cycle if I can recover him maybe I'll be able to get it clean for him
    Thank you so much for all the help I really appreciate it!

8. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Agree that distilled water is not good for the fish.... They will lose electrolytes and may be already doing so. Shakaho's idea is interesting but I'm not sure why not just use regular drinking water that does have minerals in it... I do understand the expense factor though.

Ironically, our water looked to have a mild reddish hint to it after they changed a broken water pipe yesterday (maybe I'm being paranoid)... I did add some of it to the partially-frozen pond with some treatment. I hope my fish dont suffer.

9. Orandakeeper1

Orandakeeper1 Member

Well my oranda is looking better this morning, the redness has lessened, so am going to try to fill my 20g with RO water and transfer him to that...will do after work
    Thank you again for all the help