Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Crazy pH difference

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by JEM Fish, Dec 27, 2017.

1. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

Hello! I've just become very concerned with my aquarium pH after testing it tonight. The pH is very high, which I thought was normal. We have a well so the well water was the same regarding pH. I got my water from an outdoor spout this summer but when winter came I switched to our indoor, softened water because that was the only other way to get the water and I've been using it for about a month now. I know the softened water is fish safe so I went ahead with this. I do weekly 30-50% water changes on my planted 55 gallon tank I hadn't tested pH in a while so I tested it and found that the tank water was very high or off the charts on high range pH, which is around 8.4-8.8 (I use the API freshwater master kit and the upper colors are very similar so it is hard to tell). I then tested the tap water, which is our softened well water and the pH was 6.8. I figured that by now the water pH would have equalized or goen down by now. The only thing I can think of is that I have one 20 pound bag of eco complete in there, but could this really cause such a large shift? Also, could a pH this high negatively effect my goldfish, and would water changes cause any pH swings too large for my fish to handle? Please get back to me ASAP, thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Why not just mix the softened and well water? You should get a pH that you like better and raise the low KH of the softened water.

3. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

I just don't have a way to get the unsoftened water in winter, the only way is the outside spout and shutting it off to the whole house is bad for the pipes and huge hassle. I wish I could do that, but I can't until the outdoor pipes unfreeze. Should I try to maintain a higher pH or remove anything that is raising it? Maybe doing more frequent, smaller water changes would lessen the risk of large pH swing? I'm not very experienced with things like this, and I'm just not sure what to do, thanks!

4. Buttercup

Buttercup Active Member

I do not think it’s the Eco Complete. I have sand substrate and my tanks ph is always 7.6, however our well water out of tap reads 6.4. I don’t do 100% water changes for that reason, but I do 80% weekly and the fish show no signs of stress at all after those. Certainly doing smaller, more frequent water changes would work in your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

Alright thanks! I haven't ever noticed any stress after water changes either, I just always try to be sure that their situation is optimal!