Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Culturing Tubifex and Blackworms

Discussion in 'Goldfish Food' started by small_ranchu, Jun 30, 2011.

1. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

Written by dr.tran at here

2. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

Blackworm culture (Lumbriculus variegatus) for use as a live fish food for the Hobbyi

source: by Al Sabetta

3. ZenFish

ZenFish Trying Hard!

I feed blackworms about once a week. Yesterday during water change day, I was cleaning out my sump and to my surprise, there was a whole mess of blackworms in it. It appears that either my fish aren't eating as many as I think they are, or some have escaped and are having a good time in my sump. I took most of them out, but I left a small clump to see if they'll do it again.

4. TheTruth

TheTruth Professional Breeder

tubifex

this guys a real pro.tubifex is the best food for growth and vigor.

5. aqua

aqua Cute Goldfish

Excellent guide. I did use the leftover kitchen vegetables especially potatoes skill peel to grow the worms and the worst part is having to deal with the smell.

6. Rob Barry

Rob Barry Member

I don't post much on message boards because the ones like this that are an established board have so much info that I spend more time reading the posts...However, as I posted in my intro...I have been keeping fish for 43 yrs. and I have applied all my experience to my Golfish so anyway, I feed my Goldfish as well as my Midas Red Wigglers, The Midas Daily and the Golds once a week. I have to admit that the Goldfish eat the worms as voraciously as the Midas but to keep it affordable, I have been dealing with this guy http://unclejimswormfarm.com/. Not only affordable but, Instructional video on farming worms and different types of worm farm set ups...I hope this is helpful...

Rob

7. Bill B

Bill B New Member

Hi all,

I don't actually keep goldfish, but I was looking up info on the web about how to keep and culture tubifex worms. I'm not all that great at using aquarium stuff and knowing aquarium terms. I am hoping to culture tubifex worms for salamander larvae, since I don't really know what else to feed them (the local aquarium store stopped selling blackworms). When it comes to the instruction of "only keep them in cycled containers", I don't quite know what that means. I'm not the most experienced aquarium keeper. When it's summer here, I have two aquariums (each with an axolotl in it) on chillers to keep the water cool enough for them. Does "cycled" mean something like that?

Bill