Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Dang Squirrels

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by Mark 1959, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Mark 1959

Mark 1959 Active Member

Squirrels tore up the covers on my my outdoor chair cushions gathering up acorns. I was going to just toss them out but got the idea to try them in a 55 gallon barrel filter. I put 2 layers of of the batten cushions, about 10" total and 2 layers of 1" sponge cushion foam and still have room for more but I am thinking about putting plants on top. I just started it up this afternoon but so far it seems to be working like a charm. I'll have to see how well the batten cushions rinse out, I already use the sponge cushion foam in my skimmer and waterfall filters and it works great, they catch a ton of waste and rinse out easily.

2. Mark 1959

Mark 1959 Active Member

Well, the thick chair cushions work great for catching stuff and not plugging up but are way too much trouble to clean out, they weigh a ton and shred apart when trying to remove them for cleaning . So I have converted to gravel filters . I will continue using the 1" foam cushions in my skimmer and waterfall filter since they catch a ton of stuff and rinse out easily

TwistedNerve likes this.