Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Daphnia and brine shrimp making a mess

Discussion in 'Goldfish Food' started by Nagisa, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

Hi everyone! :)

A quick question here, am I the only one finding daphnia and brine shrimp been very messy?
    I have 1 goldfish in a 20 gallon tank, and frozen cube just scares him (lol)
    My boy will wait at the bottom of the tank until those tiny bits start to "rain" down on him, he'll pick them up one by one like a little vacuum machine....but then he is not doing a good enough job, and it will be up to me to clean those tiny things off.... (="=;

I am thinking about melting those frozen cube, add gelatin to it so it won't make such a mess in my tank.

Does this sounds okay? Any idea how long the shelve life would be with this thing?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  2. Amy S

Amy S Professional Breeder

I probably wouldn't feed either of those things to fish over 2". Bloodworms would be more size appropriate.
    For a single fish, I would purchase Repashy as a gel food. You can make as little/ much as you like.

Kat likes this.
  3. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

LOL

I did not realize those two are considered the "baby food" for goldies XD
    I do feed my boy bloodworms, same story, he'll wait until the frozen cube melted and little worms scatter around before he goes to pick them up. Only because bloodworms are bigger and easier to find, he usually cleans it up pretty good. (less job for me yay)

I have heard great stories about this Repashy soilent green gel food, I will try to find them now, thank you for your advice! :)

4. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

Bloodworms,adult Brine Shrimp and gel foods are all great foods for fish over 2". Transition from one food to another sometimes takes fish time to use their phage all teeth and/ or thet pick and wait until the food gets to tank temperature, as they get used to it, the aggressiveness towards eating chanes

5. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

Darn auto correct, that's Pharyngeal teeth.

6. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

I use eLive brand frozen foods (Bloodworms, Spirulina Brine Shrimp, $7 for 30 single serve cups@ PetCo)
    They come in single serve plastic cups with a peel back foil top.
    I usually feed worms in the morning and shrimp in the evenings.
    I usually drop 3 or 4 of these into a small bowl in the sink and run hot water over them for about 60-90 seconds. (140g with 5 fish 4"-7")
    They are usually completely thawed when they hit the tank water. Much less mess than any cubes!
    My fish usually go crazy when I approach the aquarium at feeding time. They can hardly wait for the tasty morsels they're about to receive.
    I also have a 1/4" - 1/2" of sand, they love to sift through the sand and "find" the bloodworms, and shrimp pieces, that made it to the bottom.

I also feed Hakari Seaweed Extreme sinking pellets (they are more like granules, though I would like to find some of this in a larger sinking pellet)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  7. LadysSolo

LadysSolo Breeder/keeper

Look at Ocean Nutrition cichlid veggie pellets - my goldfish go crazy over them. And they come in a sealed foil bag to help maintain freshness. There were different sizes offered on Drs Foster and Smith web site the last time I ordered - I think Pet Mountain carries it too.

8. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

Thank you everyone, for your suggestions.
    I live in Canada BC, what I found in the stores are a bit different here, I'll see if I can find some of these on line and call around too! :)

One more question though, my goldfish hates spinach....actually, he hates all leafy green in general (but he'll eat peas and edamame).

Should I be worry? Say.....should I add certain vitamin powder to his gel food to avoid nutrient deficiency?

9. maileen22092

maileen22092 Maileen

What do you feed on a daily basis?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

just feed a good food like repashy solient green, a good pellet food that has already been mentioned, and the occasional shelled peas and you will be fine. Do large weekly water conditions in addition

11. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

12. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

Thank you everyone!
    I actually found an aquarium store in downtown Vancouver that sell them :D
    Yay! Problem solved!