Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Different eating habits of different goldies

Discussion in 'Goldfish Food' started by Faebinder, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

I don't know if many out there have a mixed pond like I do, but I noticed that my goldies are not the same when it comes down to eating.

The young bubble eyes and the young black moors are constantly looking for floating flakes (despite the worms I throws)
    The older ranchus, Ryukin, lionheads and orandas are bottom eating.
    The pearlscale is about the boldest fish i got (even more than the single koi in the pond).

On a side note, the dojo loaches are the funniest as there is always one showing up during feeding worms otherwise they are completely uninterested in all foods types i toss in.

I also noted some of my fish eating boiled carrots so I am all excited. I've been having a hard time finding stuff they will actually eat other than regular pellets. They never seem excited for food. Spoiled brats.

Anyone notice a pattern for certain types?

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Yes there are differences, single tailed fish tend to be more aggressive feeders than fancies. Fish with eye issues such as bubble eyes, demekins, and , celestials have the most difficult time finding food that is why it is recommended not mixing them all together

3. Faebinder

I'm gonna keep giving flakes with frozen food for the bubble eyes. I got two but only one is picky that way.

4. Totallyvictorian

Totallyvictorian Active Member

I have been feeding my baby ryukins bloodworms, flakes, and soaked pellets. I want them to get some growth before winter
    but do not want to overfeed them. The sarassa's get pellets and flakes. Any suggestions on a feeding schedule for the babies?
    Several are good sized already but the others are still small..1 1/2".

5. thePhysicist

thePhysicist Well-Known Member

@Faebinder

I would suggest definitely continue with the carrots if everyone is eating them! Carrots don't have enough vitamins and nutrients to cover all of your fish's needs though. Most goldfish will eat the Repashy Soilent Green (a gel food) which is a top of the line gel food for bottomfeeders/algae eaters. As for pellets, many have great success with Hikari Purple, and Green (soaking them first in tank/pond water). Bloodworms are also a great choice for everyone! These three foods are across the board, great for all types of fish.

It's not the food I would be worried about though. It's your mixture of fish as @joe pointed out. Your bubble eyes and telescopes (the moors) are in general clumsy, slow, and cannot see well at all. They're lack of interest in food may be that they've had a hard time up until now grabbing some for themselves? You'll have to watch them for us specifically and say what the situation is.

@Totallyvictorian

A great feeding schedule is between 2 - 4 a day. Blood worms everyday really helps with growth. Approximately 0.116 oz per 2 - 3 fish is great for growing b(o u o).

6. Totallyvictorian

Thanks so much for your reply. I wasn't giving the blood worms everyday but I will now :)

thePhysicist likes this.
  7. Faebinder

I have been doing good now a days with floating pellets from the saki hikari (i used the light purple one and occasional the small koi pellets) and blackwater creek ....

Ever since I did floating food in the pond, the bubble eyes have been eating well. I've been avoiding giving carrots or peas due to time... Not even blood worms as much now a days (too busy). Good thing I got an automatic feeder.

8. Totallyvictorian

I took these pictures with my phone, so they aren't great..I have two larger all blacks ones, but they are very hard to get a picture of.
    I will try and get better ones soon.

Attached Files: