Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Direct sunlight affect calico ranchu's color?

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Ava, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Ava

Ava Member

Hello - so, I placed our ranchu outside in our tub during a WC and it was pretty warm (70 to 75 degress) He stayed outside for approx 35 mins. I noticed once I returned him back to his tank, the black on his tail fins and pectoral fins faded and are no longer the black color.

• Is this normal and did the sunlight affect this?
    • Is it healthy for ranchus to get direct sunlight, or is it not necessary?

If so, I wonder if I should keep our aquarium away from direct sunlight. Here are before and after pics:

before.jpeg after.jpg

Thanks!!

2. Calipso

Calipso Active Member

Interesting! I have absolutely no clue what effect direct sunlight has on a gold, besides raising the temperature of the tank and promoting algae growth (potentially clouding up the water). It'd be fascinating to find out if color is truly affected at all by direct sunlight and how quickly!

Are these directly before and after photo's??

3. Ava

Ava Member

Calipso - I would say, less than an hour after I returned him to the tank the fading of the black color was noticeable. I'm mind boggled...

What is the best way to retain a ranchu's color? Black or blue background on the walls of the aquarium? I've doing some research and some folks in the web believe the background of the tank may cause this. IDK.

4. Calipso

Calipso Active Member

According to this website, direct sunlight should be maintaining the black coloration, but I mean... it's just one website.
    It'll be interesting to see what other members find out/have experienced.

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

many factors go into a fish maintaining it's color. Genetics, sunlight, food, all play a part. Exposing your fish to sunlight will only be beneficial

nolaveils likes this.
  6. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

What color was the background/tub when it was in the sunlight?

orangecrush likes this.
  7. Ava

Ava Member

it was in a clear tub in the sunlight. Would that explain the lighter color?

I was hoping to place our 40B tank next to our window in the sunlight, but fearing it may make his color fade even more.

8. afnaveils

Yes, natural camouflage, defense mechanism...

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I would be more concern about "How much direct sun light you will be getting" That could really heat up your water too much. Goldfish exposed to sunlight do best when their shade provided. Just the exposure to natural light will enhance colors and health. It does not have to be direct sun light.

10. El Djago

El Djago Active Member

It's not the sunlight IMO, if you have different temperatures in your tank and tub, also the quality of water. i usually experience this when choosing a fish from a pond and putting it in a tank for viewing with water not coming from the pond.

11. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Gerard, could you please discuss this in more detail.

Thank you, Jim.

12. afnaveils

Oh, I'm no biologist but I learnt about predators and preys relationship, species survival, physical adaptation, etc. So, the goldfish naturally blends into the light colored background in order not to be easily seen and be a prey. My interpretation...

13. QandO

QandO Active Member

Was it sunny out? I’ve heard if Koi getting sunburnt (never experienced it personally though). Looks like the fish got bleached. I bet he’ll return to normal as long as there is good water. Let us know how it goes!