Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

DIY Photography Hood for Aquariums

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by CaliGold, Dec 11, 2015.

1. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

I've been doing a lot of tank photography in the last weeks, and I realized that I (aesthetically) didn't like the amount of light showing from my open-top aquarium when photographing in a completely dark room. So, I devised a cheap little tool to help me cut out the excessive light at the top. Mind, this DIY hood is for very temporary use only. It is not waterproof, and is not good for day-to-day air circulation.

[​IMG]
    The tank without the new hood... lots of light lost by reflecting back off the water's surface.

[​IMG]
    Tank with the photo hood (definitely no more light escaping).

If you'd like to make your own, you'll just need the dimensions of your tank, a big piece of foam board, hot glue (and hot glue gun), aluminum foil, and some way to measure and cut.

[​IMG]
    I have a 20 gallon long tank, with a length (longest measurement) of 32 inches and width of 12.5 inches. My final hood measured 34 inches long, the top was 10 inches wide with 4 inch wide sides angled down. The end pieces were trapezoids with a 10 inch wide top and 14 inches wide and the bottom. The inside was lined with aluminum foil to reflect some light back into the tank (not really essential, but I figured 'why not?').

[​IMG]
    To make it, get an idea of your measurements first. You want the top rectangle to be a few inches smaller in width than your tank, but also a few inches larger in length. The long sides should be roughly 4 inches wide, and the trapezoids should fit the ends snugly.

[​IMG]
    Cut the biggest rectangle first. I cut the top and long sides as one piece and later scored the lines where the sides were to make the angles. Then cut out the trapezoids. Before you hot glue everything together, line the insides with aluminum foil (if you plan on using it) and cut out a smaller rectangle for your filter, or anything else you don't want to take off the side of your tank for a quick photo shoot. Then glue the trapezoids in place (foil inwards), and the hood is complete! It should rest along the edges of your tank with just an inch or so of overhang.

[​IMG]

If you have extra scraps of foam board, consider adding a handle for easy maneuverability.

Good luck and happy crafting!
    CaliGold

2. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

good job.. :)

3. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

4. Goldie^HawnSolo

Goldie^HawnSolo Member

5. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

This is excellent. Thanks,