Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Does anyone know any cheap sources of river rocks that don't involve wild sources or theft.

Discussion in 'Goldfish VS Plant' started by GoldenMcNewbie, Jun 19, 2015.

1. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

I have a water lily and the top is filled with seachem fluorite, and my fish managed to remove handfuls of gravel from the pot. This pot is one of those 10 gallon pond tubs from Lowes. I plan to cover the pot with large rocks and still leave an area around the crown.

2. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

PetSmart/PetCo both sale "river rocks", although they are not cheap, about $5 for 4 or 5 small-medium rocks. One might spend $40-50 to cover the top of a 10gal pot.

3. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I recommend these. I can cover the surface of the pot with these flat stones and the goldfish can't remove them and get to the "fun" stuff underneath.

4. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

Look in the Garden section of your local Home Depot or Lowes, they sell smaller bags of decorative rocks

5. Amy

Amy Active Member

I use pea gravel and layer it a bit. Works fine with the fish. I have around 90 waterlilies and they are all happy. Sometimes you can get a ripped bag at lowes for half the price and it's almost completely full. Shame you weren't here because I'm replacing my river rock around my japanese maples with mulch.

6. Mark 1959

Mark 1959 Active Member

If you have a stone/rock yard near you they will be cheaper, if you don't need that much take a empty 5 gallon bucket with you, they will sell you as much or as little as you need

7. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

I got rocks from a landscaping place where I paid by the pound. It was more like 20-30 cents a pound than pet store's $4 per pound.

8. newTosakin

newTosakin Active Member

Don't know how much you need, but the dollar store usually sells plain nice large polished river stones. I use them all the time. They are a buck a bag. Only good if you need a couple of pounds of very nice river stones.

9. Scifisarah

Oh you mean the highly polished type ones, and not actual river stones? I saw bags of those at Menards on clearance for $1.49 each last week. They were on the smaller side. My dad got some to put in the bottom of a glass sink to make the bottom level to turn into a bird bath.

10. Ununique

Ununique Well-Known Member

All rocks are from wild sources?

Scifisarah and ThatGuy like this.
  11. Scifisarah

I only buy domesticated rocks! :D I think they just meant not going into a river and taking some out.

Ununique likes this.
  12. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

I could steal a few from the Myriad. Lol.

13. newTosakin

newTosakin Active Member

LOL, so funny!